It's especially easy to be happy in Norfolk in the summer and to feel grateful for our fair city. For those of you new in town or a native always looking for that next great NFK experience, I've made a list of ways to get the most out of this summer here in the Mermaid City.
The first 25 were published last week. Here are the rest:
26. Behold the majesty of a Hampton Roads thunderstorm over the battleship Wisconsin from the top of the Plume St. parking garage.
27. Breathe in deep and enjoy the sights (and smells!) of the Norfolk Botanical Garden on its tram ride.
28. Learn about sustainable shorelines at the city's free Public Wetlands Education Seminar on July 14. You might just help save Norfolk for future generations of summer lovers.
30. Check out the latest shows at Work | Release and Glass Wheel Studio, then take yourself on a self-guided tour of the dozens of pieces of public art in the NEON. #NFKARTCITY
31. Toast to good friends with Can Night
34. Take it easy on Sunday morning with The Team America at 80/20's brunch.
35. Go to Cure in Freemason and get an iced coffee, then stroll along the historic cobblestones in one of America's most resilient cities.
36. Fear no judgment while you dance like wild summer rain to live music at the Cutty Shark.
37. Live Zen, Norfolk. Sunset yoga happens on Wednesday nights at the Pagoda pier with Bhav Brigade and pop-up meditation classes also happen at Slover Library and Stockely Gardens.
38. Find a kayak and explore The Hague for a fun today and a taste of the watery Norfolk of tomorrow.
39. Stand on Willoughby Spit and remember the morning in the 1660s when that plot of land appeared, delivered by storm, much to the surprise of Lady Willoughby.
41. See the bustling ports of Hampton Roads and learn about our nautical history on the Rover.
42. Acquiesce to those island vibrations with Nature's Child's regular Monday sets at Scotty Quixx.
43. Buy a copy of the meaty Sunday edition of The Virginian-Pilot, turn the phone off for 45 minutes and dig into the newspaper while enjoying the Beatles at Fair Grounds.
44. Grab a GIANT slice from Benny Damato's on Granby and take it to Town Point Park on a non-festival day. It's our park every day, all year, after all.
45. Build something with your own two hands at 757 Makerspace, where they offer classes for both adults and children.
46. Get hyped with the Norfolk State marching band at the home kickoff on Sept. 3.
48. Lower your blood pressure on an evening stroll along Mayflower Road in Colonial Place as the moonlight flickers off the Lafayette River.