Sunday, August 23, 2009

The More Things Change the More They Stay the Same



I've come to realize since becoming unemployed that I'm becoming more of a night owl. I'm watching too much late night TV and becoming re-addicted to "Roseanne." "'Roseanne' is the story of a working class family struggling with life's essential problems: Marriage, Children, Money and Parent's in Law. A classic sitcom, the story circles around the Connor family - a family of five (DJ, Darlene, Becky, Roseanne and Dan). The household's mother, Roseanne, is being accompanied in her quest to keep the family together by her sister Jackie and various friends over the years."

When "Roseanne" premiered in 1988, I thought it was just funny and enjoyed it for that reason, nothing more, nothing less. I was a freshman in high school and new nothing about life. I admired how the Connor family got through the rough patches with sarcasm, humor and love. I would watch it and see myself more as Jackie and my best friend at the time as Roseanne. She would be the one with the family and I would almost be the tag along.

Dan Connor: You want me to make dinner? Fine, I am making dinner!
Roseanne: Oh but honey you just made dinner 3 years ago!

So I'm watching it again these days. It seems like TV Land Prime is showing more of the Season 1 and Season 2 episodes. I've found a new appreciation for the times that "Roseanne" was set in, during the late 80's.

During Season 2, Roseanne and Jackie quit Wellman Plastics and have to find new jobs. Jackie decides to become a police officer. Roseanne cycles through a variety of menial jobs including telemarketer, secretary for Dan's boss, bartender, cashier at a fast food restaurant, and, finally, sweeping floors at a beauty parlor.

Today as a married woman, I identify more with Roseanne: looking for a new job, to continue my career, something. Her series has become so relevant again today: people in Lanford are looking for work and their economy is tanking. Wellman Plastics ends up closing it's doors, Dan starts out doing drywall contracting, he starts his own motorcycle repair/sales garage and loses it, Roseanne opens The Lanford Lunchbox with her mother, Jackie and her former supervisor from Rodbells. Shoot, we just had Hurricane Bill go shooting up the Atlantic Ocean this weekend. (Okay, so that one's a bit of a stretch.)The same scenario is playing out across the United States again today.



I think that if I ever got the chance to talk to Roseanne, I'd like to tell her that her program is still true to this day. Sure, there are little things here and there that "date" the program to a small degree, but it's really standing the test of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment