Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Disney Bought Marvel



Oh, to be a rock star...I'd totally have a Spider-Man guitar!

I'm a bona-fide, life long Spider-Man geek. I have been since I was about 3-4 years old and that obsession continues today at age 35. So you'd think I'd be happy about Disney buying Marvel comics because maybe it provides some more financial security for my favorite heroes, especially in a time when people are cutting back financially. It pains me that comics aren't required to live a healthy life.

"The surprise cash-and-stock deal sent Spidey senses tingling in the comic book world. It could lead to new rides, movies, action figures and other outlets for Marvel's 5,000 characters, although Marvel already was aggressively licensing its properties for such uses."

I don't know. I'm a creature of habit and I'm happy when things don't change too much. My fear is that Spidey and the X-Men will be "Disney-fied" or something. I don't want MJ Watson, Storm and Rogue becoming the latest Disney princesses, or worse yet, Wolvering becoming a Disney prince. Shudder.

Oh God, can you imagine the Green Goblin or Magneto being turned into a Disney villan? They really aren't that scary.

"The deal won't have benefits right away, and Disney stock sank on the news...The deal is expected to close by the end of the year and marks Disney's biggest acquisition since it purchased Pixar Animation Studios Inc., the maker of 'Up'." Now, that part does surprise me. Because Disney is such a huge corporation, I wouldn't have expected their stock to fall.

"Marvel would follow another storied comic book publisher into the arms of a media conglomerate. DC Comics - the home of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman - was bought by Warner Bros., now part of Time Warner Inc., in 1969." For me, DC has always been a part of Time Warner so that wasn't ever an issue. And let's remember, the late 70's/early 80's, Time Warner did some great things with the first couple of Superman movies and Wonder Woman series. (Marvel didn't really become known for it's great character movies until Blade came out in 1998, and it was like gangbusters.)

The corporation [Walt Disney] co-founded, now known as The Walt Disney Company, today has annual revenues of approximately U.S. $35 billion. As for Marvel, it was founded by Martin Goodman, which later became known as Marvel Comics, under the name Timely Publication, in 1939. Goodman, a pulp-magazine publisher who started by selling a Western pulp in 1933, expanded into the emerging — and by then already highly popular — new medium of comic books.

So I don't know...if you've got quite possibly the two greatest, most creative companies in the United States, that each have their legions of fans and fanatics (I myself fall under the "fan" heading, I think), that have, in a way, merged, maybe it won't be that bad. I've been able to survive just fine since Sam Raimi, Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, and David Koepp gave the movie-version of Spider-Man organic webshooters that were actually a part of his wrists.





And I just have to say this...the Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends and the Incredible Hulk cartoon from 1981 was the absolute SHIT when I was a kid! On Saturday mornings, I'd hustle my little ass to get my cereal and plunk down in front of the tv in time for this cartoon. I would guess now that at the time, I had a good hour to geek out and then go about the rest of my Saturday morning.



Okay so since I've just publicly outed my true inner geek, I just hope Disney doesn't let us down with their new purchase. They've got loads of fans who are hoping that Disney maintains the characters we've known and loved for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment