Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cate Blanchet=Crochet Blanket?

There are few people I know that can rock a crocheted or knitted piece of clothing. My friend Jan was one of them, and my friend Nicole is one of them. I, of course, do wear my own crocheted goodies, but I don't know that I rock them. Well, there is the insanely long purple scarf from a few years back, made with about four different kinds of yarn. I do rock that pretty hard, or maybe it rocks me. But I digress...

So anyway, I'm online a few weeks ago and I stumble across this site: CraftBlog.com.au. It's an Australian crafting site. It has a free crochet pattern section so that's what drew me in...until I read this article: "Cate’s Bringing The Blanket Back."

"Cate Blanchett caused a stir last night when she turned up to the opening of Screen Worlds at ACMI wearing a traditional granny square blanket fashioned into a dress." There is a kick ass picture of her in said granny square dress. She's rockin' it, alright. And as a side note, I just have to say, that Jan would totally be digging this. I know damn well she would have started to make her own!

"The jury is still out on whether the style queen made an unusual red carpet fashion faux pas when she braved the cold wearing the doily-inspired shock frock by Australian label Romance Was Born." Oh no no no no NO. This rules! It's such a fun and retro take on something a lot of us grew up with having in our houses and never thought twice about, until it was time to curl up in front of the (big old console, sitting on the floor in a wooden body) TV during the winter.

Hey, remember, there was one of those blankets, almost the same color as Cate's dress, draped over the couch on Roseanne!

A dress like that (but made with two sleeves) would be so original. If I could pull it off, don't think I wouldn't try it, but I don't think I could do it justice.

My other most recent Internet crochet find is a blog by a guy who calls himself 8 Wit Bit. Unfortunately, it looks like he hasn't posted anything since May, but he's pretty damn good at amigurumi crochet. 8 Wit had posted a free crochet pattern he created of Brian Griffin, the dog from Family Guy. Since I had just finished Stewie's outfit for my sister, I thought an accompanying Brian would be the pièce de résistance.

But it was not meant to be. I swore and cussed and fretted over that little white dork four times and I just couldn't get the damn thing right! I don't know what the deal is...I think maybe the text pattern is not quite the same as the finished project. Brian's arms and legs don't seem to come out the same for me. Oh well, at least I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment