Thursday, November 12, 2009

An Interesting Combination of Events

So on Thursday, our office closed at noon because of the nor'easter. No big deal. I went home, did come cleaning, some laundry, even some cooking. My husband was at work all day so I had the house to myself.

Note, between 5:45-6:05 PM, the power has gone out about seven times now. Thank God for a good computer battery. My dog is hating this: the constant off and on. He's trying to cram himself to the smallest corner next to me that he can, poor guy.

So I used the evening to get caught up on my backload of stuff on the DVR. One of the things I had on there was the original Night of the Living Dead by George Romero.

I may just have to light some candles and call it done on the computer. Time to break out the crochet instead of this, I think. The dog is now under the kitchen table...my big brave German Shepherd!

So anyway, I hadn't seen the original Night. I had recorded it from Halloween on AMC. It's a great movie. George Romero has some really incredible use of sound and camera angles. If you've never seen it, I highly recommend it, my love for zombie movies aside. (Interesting fact: the zombies are never referred to as such. They are "the ghouls.")

A family, a couple, a young man and young woman, all trapped together inside a house. They've boarded the windows and doors against the marauding, murdering ghouls outside. Leave the safety of the house, and face certain death. With the remnants of Ida and our nor'easter raging outside, I thought it was an interesting way to watch a zombie movie.

Odd howls of wind; old, original windows in a 1942 house, knocking back and forth, sheets of rain battering down the streets and against the siding...shit, if this were right before Halloween, it would be a fabulous backdrop for the night! Mother Nature can out on one hell of a display when she wants!

span style="font-family: georgia;">I can't complain about flickering power...our house and yard are still intact. The truck and scooter are tucked away inside a sturdy garage. No limbs have come down on our house. I didn't get stuck on the way home from work anywhere. The power is back on (for the time being). It makes me almost wish I don't have to go to work tomorrow. I've already got some candles going here at the house. It makes it kind of cozy (even with a mass of quivering fur at my feet).

Although I do have to give mad props to the United States Postal Service and UPS. We got our usual mail delivery and a quick stop off from UPS this afternoon. Having those guys out and about today struck me as above and beyond the call of duty. Way to go, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment