Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Not Really Happy with Casey Cycle City

On June 11, 2008, I placed an order with Casey Cycle City in Newport News, VA for a red (raspberry metallic, but whatever) Yamaha Vino 125. I was told I'd be able to pick it up in the fall, as the '09s weren't available yet.

I'd spent a few days beforehand, researching the 125 cc scooters, and realized all scooters out here were selling like hotcakes at the height of the gas price hike. I thought I was doing good, and I felt good about what I was getting from Casey. I had been getting excellent service, even though I was buying the scooter two cities away and would have to bring it home in the back of my husband's pick up truck across the interstate.

So everything goes as expected. I picked up the scooter on Oct. 4, 2008. So far, I've got about 1,800 miles on it, and the guys at Casey had still be good. Even though I don't take it back there for service, they are good about answering questions for me.

At least, I thought everything had been good.

Two days ago, I decided to go online to get my free yearly credit reports. I checked with all three companies. Everything looked fine on all three, except there was a credit card listed on them that I didn't have. It was a credit card listed as being with HSBC Yamaha (or HSBC Retail Services, depending on where you check).

I apparently had a credit card with this company that I knew NOTHING about, and never even received mail from them. Hell, I never even received a card from them. And mind you, I financed my scooter through my own bank, not through the dealer.

So I called HSBC that same night to get some info from them about my "account." Apparently, someone opened that account for me on June 11, 2008...the same day I ordered the scooter. I assume it was my salesman there at Casey. I don't remember his name off hand, but I'm sure I have his business card upstairs in my filing cabinet. Obviously, I closed that account the very same night. Luckily, the woman I talked to was very nice and was surprised about my lack of knowledge of this account.

I was so pissed off about this that I called Casey the next day. As luck would have it, they were busy and their voice mail picked up. I left a message for Carolyn in Customer Service to call me back because I wanted to know how a credit card account was opened in my name without my knowledge. Of course, no one has called me back.

Aside from the risk of identity theft, according to FinAid, "Avoid opening new accounts that you do not need. Opening too many accounts and the time since you last opened an account can affect your credit score." We have only three other cards, and they do not have balances on them.

I suppose the responsible thing for me to do now would be to call the three credit report companies and try to report this card account, even thought closed, as fraud. But really, a more than a year later, will it matter?

You know, the more I think about it, the more I know that I have to call those companies. I'll call them on Friday and make sure they are aware, that even though the account had nothing bad it in, it wasn't really mine. If Casey won't call me back, they are still not getting off the hook with me.

Two things are for certain now: I will no longer recommend Casey Cycle City to anyone, and I will not return there for any other purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment