Thursday, January 14, 2010

Egg Soup Recipe

It seems like I am forever saving things I find online, like I'm some kind of pack rat or e-hoarder. One of those things are new recipes. I found this great recipe for Egg Soup on some blog fairly recently and made it tonight. However, the blog I thought it came from is a vegan blog, so I guess a recipe for egg soup didn't come from there.

I'd like to be able to link back to the original blog, but since I was a ditz and copied the recipe into Word to save on my computer (I should have PDF'ed it), I guess I can't, unless by sheer luck the person reads about it here and lets me know where it came from. At least then, you could see the original version....because you know I tweaked it.

Hey, so maybe I'm not an original thought kind of person, but I can take something that you've done and put my own creative twist on it. :) It's all good.

4 eggs, beaten (medium sized will be fine)
15 oz or so of homemade poultry broth
minced garlic and pepper
1 tsp of chopped cilantro

In a pot, heat your broth. Mine was leftover from Thanksgiving, when I boiled down the turkey carcass for broth. It freezes really well and you can skim off any grease or fat left in it, before it's completely thawed. Once it is heated up, add the garlic and pepper. I kept it at medium heat and cooked it on the slow side. Let it come to a rolling boil. Stir in the beaten eggs and turn the heat to low immediately. The hot soup will cook the eggs on it's own. The eggs are going to cook pretty quickly and will fluff up. Add the cilantro just a few minutes before serving.

This smelled so good and was pretty tasty, I must admit. I'm typically a "crackers with my soup" kind of person, but I didn't need them with this soup. Plus, it's low carb if you leave out the crackers. :)

This is not so much of an Egg Drop Soup kind of recipe. I don't know how the Chinese restaurants get their eggs to thinly swirl or whatever they do in their soup. This version is a little plumper than that, but if you were having a light meal to go with it, something Chinese would go pretty well with it.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy yummy! I am going to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know...it was really good! When I started making it, I was thinking it was going to be more like Egg Drop Soup and it's totally not. But it's still really good! :)

    Thanks for checking out my blog,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete