Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Laid Up With a Bum Back

The human back is an incredible piece of engineering. It's strong and limber. You can move furniture and work out at the gym, but lean over to pick up a racquetball and twist the wrong way....CREAK!

So since my back was already a little sore to begin with (who knows why, I haven't overdone it lately), I guess racquetball yesterday didn't do me any good. And I'm trying to keep my laptop from burning my lap at the same time. I'm laid up at home in the recliner, watching a rerun of "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" on USA, having come home from work early. And since I'm here, I figure this is a good of a time as any to get a couple new entries up.

On Sunday night, some of us got together for an evening in: a little wine, some cheese and fruit and a no-bake pie from Gooseberry Patch's "Patchwork Potluck."

Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie

2 8-oz packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
9 inch graham cracker pie crust
21 oz can blueberry pie filling
1 tsp. lemon juice

Blend together the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. (They actually called for nutmeg but I was out and used cinnamon instead.) Spread evenly into the crust and set aside. Combine the pie filling the lemon juice (if the can of pie filling is big enough, you can use a butter knife and mix it right in the can.) Spoon the pie filling over the cream cheese mixture. Chill until ready to serve. Serves 6-8.

I actually made this pie the day before and it held up really well. I half exptected the blue gel or whatever of the filling to mix into the cream cheese and stain it, or give it a messy look. But it didn't.

However, I have to admit...I thought it was extremely bland in taste, at least the cream cheese part anyway. It was like having a mouthful of tasteless mush. I was really surprised by that, because come on...it's cream cheese!!! And Gooseberry Patch has great recipes. But I guess this was just a fluke. But the fact remains, this was a one-time recipe for me. Hopefully, if someone else makes it, they will discover a tasty ingredient that was forgotten somewhere along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment