Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Song I Shouldn't Listen To While Driving

I love Amazon when I'm wanting to buy older CD's. I recently was on a little Fatboy Slim kick a few weeks back. I ordered "Palookaville" (2004) and "You've Come a Long Way, Baby" (1998).

Right now, my favorite of the two is "You've Come a Long Way, Baby." I feel like it's got more of the classic Fatboy Slim sound. To me, "Palookaville" comes across more as a freshman release.

The best song on "You've Come a Long Way, Baby" is one that I shouldn't listen to when I'm driving home from work in the evening: prime evening traffic; peak traffic conditions, really; shooting across the interstate, weaving in and out of traffic. It's track 5 "Build It Up - Tear It Down." Let's just say this: the speed limit on the interstates out here is 55. I've realized I've been doing just over 70, just while listening to this song. You can go online to Amazon to listen to a snippet of the song.



It's got this great kind of (drum or bass) beat to it that reminds me of the theme to the Munsters, or a dark grim superhero, for some damn reason. This song should be used in a car chase scene in a Jason Stathman movie. The Transporter meets the Munsters. This one song makes the entire CD, and the rest of the songs are almost as good as this one.





And about half way through this song, you'll hear the same chant used in the chorus of "Because We Can," also by Fatboy, on the Moulin Rouge soundtrack (track 3). I wonder if Fatboy is the first artist to ever sample himself?

No comments:

Post a Comment