Friday, January 1, 2010

Trying A New Recipe

My kitchen smells so good right now. We've got a New Year's Day luncheon to go to this afternoon, so I'm trying a new recipe to take with us: Peaches and Cream Cake. I like peaches and already had a cake mix, so let's go the easy route! :)

This was a free recipe I'd found online quite some time ago and just never got around to making until now. Like I said, it's in the oven right now and I won't be able to really critique it until this afternoon, but the least I can do is share the recipe here.

40 min | 10 min prep

SERVES 15

* 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix--I had a white cake mix
* 1/2 cup butter, melted
* 1 egg
* 2 (29 ounce) cans of sliced peaches, reserve peach juice from cans for topping
* 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon

1. Drain peaches, reserving 1-3 T juice for the topping and set aside. This is important for the right consistency of the top layer. You might want to consider saving more than just a couple of tablespoons. I had more and was glad to have that extra.
2. Combine cake mix, melted butter, and egg in medium bowl.
3. A soft dough will form.
4. This can be done by hand or with an electric mixer.
5. Press dough onto bottom and halfway up the sides of a 9x13 inch pan.
6. Cover dough with drained peaches.
7. To make the topping, mix the cream cheese, sugar, and juice with electric mixer until creamy.
8. Spread over peaches.
9. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
10. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

If you need it, there is nutritional information for this cake on the Recipe Bazaar page.

Once we get the chance to cut into this bad boy, I'll have to come back and post again on how it went over.Happy New Year's!

Additional entry made at 11:20 PM, New Year's Day

The Peaches and Cream Cake seemed to go over pretty well. Having been baked for 30 minutes, the bottom layer (the cake mix) took on a nice somewhat crunchy taste and texture to it. It was more like a pie crust. If I didn't know it was a cake mix, I wouldn't have been able to tell. It was almost graham crackery. However, it seemed to me to have the slightest bit of a lemony taste to it.

The second layer of the peaches were so good. I wasn't paying attention to what I bought at the time. Instead of getting canned sliced peaches, I had bought peach pie filling. But that still worked out. The peaches remained moist and juicy.

The cream cheese and sugar topping was very smooth but not as sweet as I would have expected. The edges turned the slightest bit golden brown and I was actually thinking that top layer would burn because the whole thing is baked uncovered.

But this whole cake was very good and I was kind of impressed at how good it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment