Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaack!

After taking some time off to go back home for a long weekend, I'm back here in old Virginny again. I didn't bother taking my computer with me (I'm from Iowa) because amazingly enough, no one in my parents' neighborhood, nor my sister's, has Wi-Fi. (Hell, my father is STILL using a 56K modem. It's just not worth messing with his computer.)  If anyone had unsecured Wi-Fi, then I'd be so bold as to piggyback on their signal, but there's no one there with it. Which strikes me as odd because over the years, younger people have moved into the neighborhood. But I guess they haven't seen fit to upgrade their modems either. Sigh.

Anyway, I had been feeling a little itchy to go home for a bit, and with Presidents' Day coming up as I was making up my mind as to "when" to travel, I figured I'd take off the previous Friday and get an extra free day.

Northeast Iowa in February...wowzers. I haven't seen this much snow since early 1996, I'd guess. That's about three feet on the ground already there. The night I got into Cedar Rapids...no joke, it was so cold...

How cold was it?

It was so cold, the windshield of my mom's car had frost on both the inside and the outside of it! It had started to form while her car sat in my sister's driveway when they came to pick me up from the airport. We drove in my mom's car the last hour from my sister's house to home. The interior frost actually spread as we drove, and my mom had the defroster running. It just didn't matter. I hadn't ever seen interior frost before! Mom was very blase about it. She's seen it before, she said.

The thermometer that hangs on the fence outside the kitchen read 10 degrees the whole time I was there. Mom said it no longer works and she WISHED it could be 10 (mind you, that 10 degrees was NOT the wind chill).

 
 

So I'm back here where a prediction of 6-8" of snow is enough to send people into a frenzy. I've been working away on a new crochet pattern. This time, an amigurumi of my own. Or maybe, I should say "ARRRRRRRRR-gurumi." :) I hope to have some pictures up of my newest toy soon. It's still a faceless thing right now, but once I get it finished, I'm going to share the pattern here. The best thing about this 'gurumi: it's my stash buster project. I've only bought ONE skein of yarn for it, because I needed a good flesh tone for it.

I'll also be working on a Steelers blanket for my husband. That isn't an original pattern of mine, but once I get it started, I will share the site I got it from.

But until I get around to my crafting, I want to say this: after our weird weather here and my bum back, I'm back at being able to continue the litter pick up in my neighborhood. I just got home from walking my dog about an hour or so and just picked up about 1-2 lbs of litter, which was enough to fill a plastic grocery store bag.

To the assholes that continue to drink and drive and litter my neighborhood, I want you to know once the weather gets nice, I'm planning on parking my butt in the spot you always toss your Natty Ice cans and Smirnoff bottles. Between last night and tonight, I picked up 9 of those mini Sutter Homes wine bottles, 4 Natty Ice cans and 1 large Smirnoff bottle. (I usually pick up at least 4 Natty Ice cans every weekend in the summer.) And who knows WHAT was in the extra plastic bag I picked up with the Sutter Homes bottles!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Where do these people get off drinking and driving and dumping their empties like that??? Once I get my butt parked out there, I'm going to make sure I've got my camera handy. If I figure out who these assholes are, I think they might get their pictures posted here.

God, I am so sick of seeing that crap laying around my neighborhood like that. Maybe I can embarrass them into stopping!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment