Sunday, February 28, 2010

My Recycling Tip For the Day

Every once in a while, I get an idea I'm really quite proud of, and this idea is one of them. I actually came up with this idea last summer and I'm just now getting around to posting it here. (Yeah, I'm lazy like that.)

We have an upright bagless Dirt Devil vacuum, a 12 amp, if I remember correctly, that we bought at Wal-Mart a couple years ago. Inside the canister are two filters that are meant to replaced twice a year.

I'm a little on the forgetful side and always had a hard time remembering when it was time to change the filters. And with a dog and cat in the house, I use my vacuum quite a bit so it seemed like the filters were always dusty anyway. And then I had a bolt of inspiration...

We have an air compressor. I realized that if I started using the air compressor to blow out the filters once a week or so, the vacuum worked better, and it also meant I didn't have to replace the filters because they were getting cleaned out on a regular basis...actually, the filters are cleaner now than when I was replacing them only twice a year.

It's a little thing to be happy about, but because I'm doing this, that's four filters I'm keeping out of the landfill a year. Since I decided to start doing that, I have already saved those four filters. That's my little green tip for the week: use an air compressor to clean out your vacuum filters. If you don't have an air compressor, take your dirty filters with you to the gas station the next time you need to air up your tires. Depending on the end of the hose, you might be able to spray out your filters there.

Happy recycling and reusing!

No comments:

Post a Comment