Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"I prefer rum.. Rum is good."

"I have no sympathy for any of you feculent maggots and no more patience to pretend otherwise. Gentlemen, I wash my hand of this weirdness."--Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow in "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" (2007).

I do believe only Johnny Depp could play an 18th century English pirate captain with white boy dreads and have him not only be engaging, but kind of a turn on as well.

A while back, I saw that someone on Craftster.org had posted a photo of a finished project she had created and crocheted: a very simple Jack Sparrow doll. She was selling the pattern in her Etsy store. I'm a bit of a cheapskate, so why would I bother paying for her pattern?

So, with a bit of swearing, crocheting, ripping apart, measuring, and redoing, I made my own Jack Sparrow amigurumi!


My only wish is that I had used a smaller crochet hook for his head and body. I had used a G sized hook so he's about 18" tall. He really was a stash buster for me. I bought the yarn for his skin and hair, and one package of beads. Everything else, I had here already. I worked on him off and on, starting on Dec. 22, 2009.

I'll be taking a little break from the crocheting for a few days. But at least my Jack is done!

4 comments: