Monday, March 8, 2010

Third Bloom of the Spring

Okay, so it's not officially spring until March 20th, but it's feeling like spring here. I decided tonight to take advantage of the temperature (in the 60's today) and do some weeding in my flower bed. Look what I found poking up out of the grass!

 

It's the first blue hyacinth of the year! I love the color of these hyacinth, which is really more purple than blue, but the real draw is the scent. I don't think there is another flower in the world that smells as good as a hyacinth. Daffodils come real close, but it's not quite the same.

These things are almost crack for me. Once they are being sold in stores, usually 1 or 3 bulbs per pot, force blooming, I have to buy them. I always look for the blue ones with as tightly closed blooms as possible. Because even though I plant them outside to enjoy the following year, I want them to last as long as possible in doors too.

No comments:

Post a Comment