Friday, April 16, 2010

Free Sauce Recipes

Last night, I had a burst of inspiration for supper for the next couple of nights. After work, I ran to the grocery store to pick up a few things. My husband made hibachi-style teriyaki chicken and fried rice, but before we started that, I made Yum Yum Sauce, that orange sauce that’s served at the Japanese steakhouses.

Out of respect to the guy that cracked the particular recipe I used last night, I’m not going to post it here on my blog. He asks that much on his website. However, you can visit his site here and get the recipe for yourself for free.

One correction/addition I’d like to make to that recipe is this: he calls for ¼ cup of water. I needed slightly more than that. After combining all the ingredients and letting it chill, it thickened up quite a bit. I needed an additional 1/8 cup of water to get it to the right restaurant-style consistency and creaminess.

My other bit of inspiration was to get stuff to make fish tacos this weekend. To go with them, I wanted to make the white sauce found in a lot of Mexican restaurants with the nachos and salsa. The first one that popped up for me was this one.

2 cups creamy salad dressing, e.g. Miracle Whip ™
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano

Measure salad dressing into a medium bowl. Gradually stir in the milk. Season with red pepper flakes, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and oregano, and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to blend. If you taste it right away, all you will taste is salad dressing.

Even though I read a few other recipes, I went back to this one with one addition: a quick healthy squirt of fat free Ranch dressing. We have tried this one but only to sample it. We’ll actually be having it tomorrow night. When I get on a roll with cooking, I tend to really get into it and typically make more than one thing. But I think this one is also the right recipe. Even before sitting long enough in the frig to let the flavors mix, it’s already tasting just right!

No comments:

Post a Comment