Monday, April 5, 2010

How Is This A Race Issue?

“Republican leader Michael Steele, whose leadership has been questioned by some in the GOP, said this morning his job is a little bit tougher because of his race.”

I think by now that most of America’s registered (hopefully educated) voters have heard about the Republican National Committee’s (RNC)latest expense reimbursement to a lesbian bondage-themed night club.

My first thought about the reimbursement was: Wow, REPUBLICANS are at a lesbian bondage-themed night club? That sounds like more along the speed of the Democrats. (And yeah, I am a Democrat, but with Republican leanings. Or as a co-worker of mine described herself, a flaming liberal Republican.)

My second thought was how it’s pretty messed up that the two senior members of the RNC that had to sign off on this reimbursement for approval got to keep their jobs (allegedly men) while the staffer that arranged the outing (allegedly a woman) got fired.

Never in all of this, have I had a single thought about Michael Steele having a tough time right now because he’s black. Big deal. I guess I’m not the only one that feels that way. “White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs responded today to Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele's assertion that black politicians are given less room for error in their positions, calling Steele's remark ‘silly…Asked about Steele's comments, Gibbs said today that Steele's problem ‘isn't the race card, it's the credit card.’"

Oooooh, nice comeback…it’s the credit card. Touche!

Steele acknowledged today that ‘at the end of the day, I'm judged by whether I win elections and raise the money.  That's a standard I'm very comfortable with,’ he said.

As someone who is a voter but has never made a contribution to any candidate, I still feel qualified enough to make this statement. It’s NOT about Michael Steele and his ability to raise money. He is just one face of the RNC. It’s about ALL of them.

Right now, it looks like the RNC can’t quite be responsible with the donations they’ve received, which looks bad enough in and of itself. But let’s remember what the economy looks like right now with the national unemployment rate is almost 10%, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The average American needs to (and is) showing financial responsibility for themselves and their families and we may have more at stake than the RNC’s operating budget. If I were an outright Republican, I think I’d be losing respect for my party. Steele trying to say it’s about his race is akin to saying, “It wasn’t me. It’s not my fault.” He’s shirking his responsibilities as leader of the RNC. He should either get his committee in order real quick or he should be ousted.

No comments:

Post a Comment