Monday, May 31, 2010

Leftovers Turned Into Soup

I decided it was time to do something with the leftover tomatillo and hominy sauce from the Tomatillo Chicken I made a while back. I didn't want to wait to make it with shrimp, so I decided it was going to turn into soup.

I love making soup, especially with leftovers. I think there's almost no way you can go wrong with an original leftover soup recipe.

For this particular batch of soup, I used the following:
  • the leftover tomatillo and hominy sauce (about 2 1/2 cups)
  • leftover homemade ham broth (about 3 cups)
  • 1 microwave bag of kernel corn (about 12 oz)
  • 3 medium baking potatoes, diced
I combined everything and once it began to boil, I reduced the heat to medium and let it all simmer for about 20-30 minutes. I think for my own taste, I should have let it cook longer, maybe even in a crock pot, so the potatoes would have been softer. But the nice thing was that even previously frozen, the tomatillo sauce kept that wonderful tangy taste. I'm going to have to cook with them again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment