Monday, May 3, 2010

The Ugly Bunna Returns and Prepping for Easter 2011

I know I've posted on here before about Craftster. I was recently inspired by a free crochet pattern there.

This one was the Ugly Bunny Pincushion. It really was meant to be a pin cushion but I realized this could be a great little stash buster project. I started making one for my sister's baby (picture of that one to follow later on), minus the pincushion parts. As I worked on it, I fell in love with the damn thing. :) It's about 10 inches tall, and I don't remember if I used a G or an H sized hook. But I started to realize how easy it would be to change him up some by turning it into different characters.

So once again, I found myself making a bunny (or bunna, as my friend Nicole would type) for Nicole because she needs another bunna like I need something else Spider-Man related. However, as I worked on a new ugly bunny, I had a brain storm. This would be no ordinary ugly bunna...it would be CTHULHU BUN! Cue the dramatic music!

I think this proves I need mental help.


Front of the bunna, so you can see his ugly face and missing eye.


Back of the bunna, so you can see his tail (which I didn't even think to put one on my niece's bun) and his wings.

When I took it over to Nicole on Sunday, she knew immediately it was a cthulhu bun and even looked through his tentacles to see if there were teeth inside. Of course there were. :)

I've also been mulling over the idea of opening a crochet Etsy store of sorts, selling original patterns and seeing how that pans out. To get ready for it, I've really been trying a few things. My Captain Jack Sparrow pattern would be a part of that store.

After exchanging emails with a local woman I met through Craigslist, I decided to add this pattern as well. She wanted a matching Easter basket for her soon-to-be-born daughter as the one she still had from when she was a kid. She sent me a photo and we decided on a price. She never got back to me, but I decided to make one for my niece, even though I didn't get it done until after Easter.


This was my original take on her basket, based on the photo she sent me. I think it turned out very well and and am very happy with it.



It's been made large enough to hold an empty 32 ounce butter/margarine container, if you wanted it to stand up on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment