Sunday, June 6, 2010

A Little Appetizer Before Supper

We have a garden in our backyard and I typically plant the same things each year. One of those things are a couple of zucchini squash plants. A few years ago, I heard the zucchini blossoms are edible and supposedly quite good. I finally got around to making a few of them tonight for a little supper appetizer. (Procrastinate much, Amy?)

Unfortunately, I didn't pick the blossoms in the morning when they are open because I wasn't planning supper this morning when I got up and I only had a few tiny blossoms to pull from (but I did find out I have one small zucchini already on one plant). If there had been more blossoms, I would have used them in a quesadilla recipe I found. Instead, I had to be content with the Fried Squash Blossoms recipe instead.

3/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon season salt
1/2 cup water
1 egg -- slightly beaten
10 to 15 squash blossoms
1/2 cup whole-milk ricotta
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp bread crumbs
Vegetable oil
Salt & Pepper to taste


First, make the batter. Combine the first 5 ingredients, and then stir in the egg and water until smooth. Store in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes.

While the batter is chilling, prepare the squash blossoms.

Carefully separate the flower petals without breaking them and remove the pistil in the center. Combine the cheese, mayonnaise, oregano, and breadcrumbs until smooth. Carefully add about a tablespoon of this mixture to each blossom and twist the top of the flower tight.

Heat enough oil in a frying pan - about an inch deep - to accommodate the blossoms. Get the batter out of the fridge and dip each blossom in batter, coating it. Carefully place each batter-covered blossom in the hot oil and fry until golden crisp on both sides. Remove and drain on paper towels, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Enjoy! Serves 3 to 4.

Oh...my...GOD! These little suckers are good! Now, I won't lie...the blossom taste itself is very light but these little blossoms are GOOD! This is a recipe that may make me plant more zucchini next year, just so I can get more blossoms off the plants!

And just for shits and giggles, I typed in "zucchini blossoms" into Yahoo! Shopping (to figure out where I could possibly order blossoms from, I needed a fix and didn't have any in the garden). I got more than 19,000 items, but the first 10 pages were all clothes. Not an edible blossom in sight, go figure! With Amazon, I got 35 items: 1 print of the blooms and 34 cookbooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment