Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My Dream Career(s) continued

The other day, I started writing out my dream careers. This is a continuation of that post.

3. Used Bookstore Owner:
Several years ago, my husband and I met a woman who owned a local pet shop. I bought a male bearded dragon from her for my husband and over the years, actually began breeding those dragons for her. We talked a little bit about her eventual retirement. She had said that she would be interested in having my husband and I buy the shop from her. We knew from the get-go it would be my shop, since my husband already has a job.

I started giving it real thought. Serious thought. All consuming thought, even though it was 5-10 years away. What it boiled down to was I didn’t want to work 7 days a week. I would have had to let her staff go in order to turn a profit, pay off a loan and fix up the inside of the shop. With animals needing to be fed, watered, cleaned up after and just given general care, there wouldn’t be a way to ever take a day off.

But that idea of being a small business owner never left me. Since becoming a customer of the Ward’s Corner Book Exchange, I’ve been thinking I’d like to open (or buy an existing) used book store and exchange. I’m pretty sure there’s not much money to be made in a venture like this, but I’m willing to give it a try someday. Most likely, it would be years from now. My husband will be retired and we will have moved closer to home. Keeping a fresh inventory couldn’t be that hard if I’m running an exchange. Plus, all I’d have to do is keep an eye on Craigslist and Freecycle for free books to add to the collection.

I love books. Especially used books. I love that initial audible “crack” of a book’s spine when you open a hardback, the “flap” of a paperback when you lay it down, even the smell of the ink and pages of an older book. A Kindle or a Sony Reader can’t do that, and I’d wager that a lot of dedicated readers would agree with me.

I love browsing through the bookstore if I have a credit waiting for me. It doesn’t matter if I don’t need another book. I like browsing the shelves for something interesting that I’m going to want later on. For example: last week, I ordered four used Stephen King books that I’d missed. One of them has already arrived. The other three are on their way. I didn’t need them yet, but I wanted them.

And when you discover a new favorite author, what you see in your head when you read is always so much more vibrant and interesting than any film version that a studio could make. What better way to slip the bounds of Earth and time than through a good book? Maybe helping other people to feel the same way and feeding their love of books.

I can envision myself spending my days taking care of inventory, ringing up customers and talking to them about their needs, ordering new books for them, working on a website for the shop. The freedoms and pressures of being your own boss as a business owner seem like fabulous challenges.

2 comments:

  1. What would it be nicer than a dream job? You can also sell books on the internet and I'm sure that with a little commercial you can have a great business! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the thought. I hadn't thought about starting out online first! :)

    ReplyDelete