I actually finished the Steelers logo blanket last Tuesday, the 6th. I worked on it for my husband off and on for a handful of weeks. I actually started working on it in Myrtle Beach on April 22 or 23. I’m going to go off on a tangent here, so bear with me. We were in MB for a wedding and a long weekend. We were staying on the beach at a resort called The Breakers. My husband decided it was a good time for a little power nap, so I sat outside on the balcony, crocheting, facing the beach and the ocean and the palm trees. God, that was FABULOUS! The breeze and the waves and the sound. It made me start to rethink my beach-storm-damage phobia and wonder if I could ever live on a beach someday.
Tunisian crochet instead for a cleaner look. Or maybe I should have started doing my color changes differently. I look at it and I see a couple mistakes, and I don’t know which one is more glaringly obvious (but then again, I am my own worst critic): the changes in width of the silver circle around the logo or the odd shift in the blue design at the bottom.
I would have taken a better photo of it, maybe one of Shane holding it so you can see it for size, but he's already hit the sack for the night.
Don’t get me wrong…I am proud of this blanket. I was counting out loud as I went, both from the chart and while I was crocheting, but I still made a couple of mistakes somewhere and that bothers me. I’ve never done a chart like this before and it looked more like a cross stitch pattern than it did crochet, so I did do something new.
The thing I am most proud about this blanket...the fact that you can read the word "Steelers" on the side. I was totally expecting that to not be readable.
However, my husband is happy with this because he got it made to his specifications: really just the logo with some striping on the ends, reminiscent of the jersey sleeves. Finished, it’s 50” tall by 45” wide and this sucker is WARM. That’s actually part of the reason I had to put it aside for awhile: our AC had crapped out here at the house for a long weekend and I couldn’t bear to have it laid out across my lap as I worked on it. I made it on an I sized hook (it called for an H hook but I didn't see that part in the pattern). This is what I used:
--the trim is actually leftover black Boucle yarn from my Captain Jack Sparrow (it was his hair)—about ½ skein
--Lion Brand Wool Ease Worsted Weight in Grey Heather (#151)—about 1 ¼ skeins
--Caron Natura (Worsted Weight) in Royal for the blue (#0040)—about ½ skein
--Caron Natura (Worsted Weight) in Scarlet for the red (#0045)—about ½ skein
--Caron Natura (Worsted Weight) in Lemon for the yellow (#0076)—about ½ skein
--Caron Natura (Worsted Weight) in White (#0001)—1 skein and Caron One Pounder in White (#501)—full pound—for all the white. Just as an FYI: even though they were both WW Caron in white, they were not the exact same shade, even though they were not part of any dye lots.
--Caron Natura (Worsted Weight) in Black (#0007)—about 8 skeins
I was smart and saved the PDF of this pattern right away when I found it, so as time goes on, if this blanket falls apart, I can make a new (better) one! I actually came across this pattern way back in February. I'm glad I saved it then, because it's since been taken offline.
Donna Hammell designed it, and at one time, she had logos for almost all of the NFL teams available as free crochet patterns. I don't know what happened...they just all disappeared. But then again, maybe she decided to not give those designs away for free. I know that if I designed something that great, I wouldn't offer it up for free!