Saturday, August 21, 2010

Got The First Christmas Craft Finished

Off and on since early June, I was working on a small blanket that will end up going to my niece for Christmas. It was my mental crafting break when I needed some time away from the heaviness and warmth of the Steelers blanket I was making for my husband.

I had actually learned about the starghan on one of the crochet pages in Craftster and decided I wanted to give it a try. Let me just say right now, it's actually a little harder than it looks. Oh yes, there was some cussing involved. To get started, I used Diva Crochet's directions because her (free) pattern made the most sense out of all of the ones I looked at. Once I felt like I had the center pretty well in hand, I switched over to following Beth's pattern, which was also free.
Before I started with Diva's pattern, I found some other half-assed pattern that didn't make any sense at all, so I started over completely. As you can see, the indents on the star are not uniform, but the points are. I lost count of a couple of times, but thankfully, my niece is not even one year old yet, so she won't pick out the mistakes on her odd starghan from her odd aunt. :)

This was made with a G sized hook. From point to point, it's 45" across. As for the pattern and colors, I basically winged those, working with the baby colored yarns I already had, and either working in rows of 2's or 5's before changing colors. For it, I used the following:
--2 skeins of Premier Yarns-Dream-in Baby Pink (24-204) (This is the shocking pink color. I really think it should be renamed Tooth Crackin' Sweet Pink because that is totally a color found only in candy! It was because of how strong this color is, that I felt the need to work in some other colors to tame it down.)
--Half skein of Caron Simply Soft in Orchid (2664)
--1 1/2 skeins of Lion Brand Baby Soft in Nursery Print (250) (This Nursery Print is exceptionally close to their Candy Print (217) that I used to make some baby clothes for a friend earlier this year.)
--1 1/2 skeins of Lion Brand Fun Fur in pink (101) (This looks solid soft pink from a distance, but when I started working with it, I realized it's almost a variegated light pink and white.)
--Left over yellow (maybe a half skein), probably Caron Simply Soft


Even with the mistakes, like the Steelers blanket, I am happy how this turned out because it was a new project for me to try. I've come a long ways since those granny square blankets I started with!

And on a geeky note, I'd like to add that this blanket reminds me of Starro, "...an alien resembling a giant starfish that arrives on Earth and places the residents of Happy Harbor and Rhode Island under its mental control. The heroes Aquaman; the Flash; Hal Jordan; Martian Manhunter and Wonder Woman team to defeat the alien, eventually coating it (at the suggestion of Snapper Carr) with quicklime, which nullifies its abilities." I don't know what that says about me.

But until Christmas, I'll be hunting down a box to keep this in, safe from any cat looking for a snuggly place to take a nap and claim it as her blankie. That might be the hardest thing to do now!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you liked my pattern and could understand the directions! Your afghan is just beautiful! Love the colors! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. Yeah, you had a great pattern: easy to understand and to follow. :)

    ReplyDelete