Monday, October 4, 2010

Finally Got Some Breaded Pork Tenderloins!

The last time I got home was in February. When I was there, I got the chance to have one of my favorite sandwiches: a breaded pork tenderloin. A grocery store chain, Hy-Vee, carries them in their meat department but I haven't been able to find them locally out here. Schwan's Home Delivery offers them, but I've been frustrated as they were out of stock the last time I tried to order some. So, since February, I've been grousing to myself because I can't find them out here.

Until lo and behold, I was watching one of my favorite shows, Man v. Food on the Travel Channel. I love Adam Richman...he looks like our kind of guy, someone you could hang out with. Mostly, I like his show because you never know when you'll learn about a new restaurant on there. But I'm getting off track here. I don't remember where he was on this particular episode...Ohio, maybe Connecticut, but it was definitely somewhere on the eastern half of the country. He was trying out a restaurant known for their monster sized breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches.

My heart skipped a beat. It wasn't home, but it would do.

Then, my heart just about STOPPED. On this particular episode, the restaurant went INTO DETAIL on how they made these sandwiches! Happy day! I could make them myself now, and that's exactly what I did for supper tonight.

I had my husband pick up the smallest pork tenderloin he could find at BJ's. I sliced it up when I got home from work, into slices about 3/4" thick.

  • 4 tenderloin cutlets
  • Canola oil--enough for frying
  • 1 sleeve of crushed Saltines
  • Black pepper
  • Garlic salt
  • Milk
I put the cutlets, one at a time, into a plastic bag and beat the holy hell out of them with a wooden rolling pin. They went from about 3/4" thick x 3" x 2" to about 1/4" thick x 6" x 5". I'd pound on it in one direction and then flip that bag over, and flatten it out the other way to keep some uniformity about them.

I added the pepper and garlic salt to the crushed Saltines. While I was letting the oil heat up in a skillet on the stove, I put two of the cutlets in to the milk and then in the Saltines. I actually let them sit in the Saltines once both sides were thoroughly covered. I kind of figured they might cook a little better if they weren't still sopping with milk when I put them in the fryer.

On Man v. Food, they actually did the milk and crackers twice, but when I tried that, my crackers started washing off in the milk, so I only coated mine once.

Once the oil was hot enough (my skillet was really only big enough to be able to turn 2 tenderloins at a time), I laid the tenderloins in and fried them. I don't really know how long I let them fry for, maybe 5-7 minutes on each side, but then I was done, they were the most beautiful golden brown! I was amazed with them...normally I'm not so adept at frying.

These turned out so well! And they make the greatest sandwiches! We had ours on regular sesame seed hamburger buns with pickle spears on the side. Thank you, Adam Richman!

No comments:

Post a Comment