Saturday, October 30, 2010

Mashed Cauliflower

A couple weeks ago, we went to Ruby Tuesday after work for an early supper. I tend to order the same things a lot when we go there because I know what I like. I'm not a picky eater but I am predictable. Hubby, on the other hand, is a surprise. I never know what might tempt his tastebuds there.

For whatever he ordered, he had his choice of two sides. He decided to try to mashed cauliflower. I had to try it, and let me tell you, it was GREAT! It made me wish I had ordered it. It was so much more like mashed potatoes than I would have expected. So, like so many other nights, I had to look this recipe up on line and see if I could find it.
  • raw cauliflower - a medium head makes about a pound of florettes
  • any combination of butter, milk, cream, or whatever you use when you make mashed potatoes - about 1/4 cup
  • salt and pepper
  • Optional: minced garlic (a clove or two); garlic powder (1/2 to 1 teaspoon); shredded cheese
Really, all you're doing is boiling and preparing the cauliflower just like you would potatoes. It's just that simple. I boiled mine on the stove for about 20 minutes and drained it when done.

Break the cauliflower up into florets, or just chop. Cook it until it's tender -- a fork should easily pierce it.

The easiest thing to do is to add the rest of the ingredients to the container the cauliflower is cooked in, and then use a stick (hand) blender to put it all together. Or you can put it all in a regular blender or food processor.

You can always add any leftovers to homemade broth for a killer veggie soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment