Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Crochet for the Kittehs

I finally got my crocheting done for Dixie (previously referred to as my daemon) and Odin (Nicole's cat and bunneh snuggler). In case you've lost track, Dixie loves me (usually) and Odin hates me (permanently), but that's not stopping my crafting for Christmas.

Earlier this year, I blogged about the Cozy Crochet Kit and today's post is about another pattern from it. There is a pattern in the kit for crocheted cat mousies. I've made Dixie a few of them in the past, stuffed with Fiber Fill and catnip, and she LOVES them.

This year, I decided to try and make amends with Odin and made him one as well. I like to overstuff the ones I make so they are firmer. Hopefully, they'll hold up better that way because Dixie beats the holy hell out of her mousies. And this year, we ended up getting some really quality nip, the Kong brand, from PetsMart.

The only thing I don't recommend doing with this pattern is using a mohair-type yarn. I think these need a sturdier yarn so they'll hold up better. I've used boucle and even the ugly ass yarn from my friend Jan, and Dixie puts a hurtin' on her favorite toys, so this year I'm trying a sturdy cotton yarn.


Pink meeces. I included the can of cat food to give you an idea of how these are for size. I don't know what size hook I used because it was a thin, unlabeled hook. See how plump these suckers are? I think the creator of that pattern probably figured they should be stuffed with about half as much Fiber Fill as I used. Dixie will grab a toy, roll over onto her back and wrap her arms around it, while kicking the crap out of it with her back legs.

I had a good little giggle while making these, just because of the color. It's Lily's Sugar 'n Cream in Strawberry and they hardly need any yarn to complete. I'm almost hoping cats are colorblind (because who can know exactly how an animal sees?) because once Odin sees his girlie-looking mouse, I don't think he'll forgive me. Despite being a Mama's boy, he's a pretty tough little guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment