Saturday, December 4, 2010

Last of the Baby Blankets for Christmas

I finished the last baby blanket for Christmas just a few days ago. This one is for our most recent niece, just born in June, so it's another travel blankie. It's four different yarns in as many different colors, and measures 26" x 28". I started it with nine granny squares in the center and then added the green stripe to two ends later on to make it a little longer than it was wide.


I told myself this one was going to be a granny circle, but I started it and just didn't like it. I started with this pattern and right from the get-go, it was looking like a soft sided granny square. I didn't know if it was just me or the pattern, so I tried it twice. I thought it was the yarn. I had first started with Premier Yarn Deborah Norville Collection Serenity Sock Weight in Saffron(that's the variegated yarn in the photo). It's very fine and almost too lightweight of a yarn for my liking. I switched over to the unknown cream yarn and tried it for the granny circle. It's a medium weight cotton yarn. But it too seemed to make a lumpy granny circle, although not nearly as lumpy as the Deborah Norville yarn.

BTW, for what it's worth, I love the colors of yarns in the Deborah Norville Collection from Premier Yarns. They are extremely pretty. However, overall, I prefer Vanna's Choice from Lion Brand when it comes to overall workability. If Lion Brand could find a way to combine Vanna's quality of yarns with Deborah's colors and shades, then I'd be all set to crochet forever! Maybe it's time for Kassie DePaiva, the former host of "Knit & Crochet Today" and a crocheter herself, to get a yarn line of her own. And let's be honest, more people would buy yarn that had Kassie's name and image on it than they would mine because she's a celebrity. Me, I'm just an amateur crocheter with a blog and en Etsy shop.

Hmmmmmm, maybe there's hope for a line of Lion Brand yarn called, "Kassie's Collection" afterall. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment