Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Lil Kim vs. Nicki Minaj? Nah.

"For months, the buzz has been on Nicki Minaj, whose recently released "Pink Friday" features a track, the Eminem-guesting "Roman's Revenge," that many took as a side-slap to Lil' Kim (sample lyrics: "Look at my show footage, how these girls be spazzin' / So f--- I look like gettin' back to a has-been? / Yeah, I said it, has-been /Hang it up, flatscreen /Haha plasma.")

"And last Friday, the Queen Bee bit back."

I never thought to compare Lil Kim and Nicki Minaj to each other. They are two totally different kinds of performers. Apparently, up until her prison-stint, Lil Kim was a hard-core rapper. Since getting out, she's cleaned up her image and even appeared on "Dancing With The Stars." Her last album came out in 2006 and she's only had individual releases since then, not another album.

Nicki Minaj is more hip-hop and hasn't been performing as long as Lil Kim, either professionally or as an amateur making her own mixed tapes.

I don't personally know much about Lil Kim's music. What I have heard, I've liked. I have heard more of Nicki Minaj's music though. She said she was influenced by Lil Kim but I look at her and think Gwen Stefani. Her appearance and style are her own but she reminds me of Gwen. Until reading the CNN article (linked above), that's who I would have guessed her influence was.

But the odd thing is this: if you read Nicki's lyrics in the article, I don't see how it could be taken that Nicki was insulting Lil Kim in the first place. Right now, it seems more like Lil Kim is trying to keep herself relevant and Nicki's the way for her to do it. Lil Kim needs to get back in the studio and get to work on a new release of her own and showcase her own talents. She can be relevant again and she doesn't need Nicki or anyone else to be compared to.

No comments:

Post a Comment