Friday, December 24, 2010

Shutting Down the Etsy Store

On Dec. 1, 2010, I finally decided to open an Etsy store. It was called Shabby Cro-Chic and my intention was to sell crochet patterns to start and see where it went from there. I only had about eight items listed, spent about $1.60 in listing fees and made one sale for $2.50.

Etsy does a great job of sending newsletters to it's shop owners, to keep them up to date on various things. It was in one of those newsletters that I learned I was expected to charge sales tax. That was a bit of a surprise, because I've sold things on eBay (as an individual, not as a store) and never had to charge sales tax there.

I contacted our tax guy and spoke with his assistant. It turns out there are a bunch more things I'd need to provide in order to get our taxes done, because of having a "business." As something that's supposed to be a hobby for FUN, I'm not trying to make all this work for myself.

I've deleted all the items from my shop but I'm keeping my account active because I want to be able to continue to buy from Etsy sellers.

So, in the interest of continuing having a good time with my crochet, I'm just going to start posting all of my patterns here for free. Lots of other people list their original patterns online to share, so that's what I'm going to do here.

If you decide you want to use one of my patterns, I'd love to know how it works out for you. Happy crocheting!

No comments:

Post a Comment