Thursday, August 12, 2010

Another Creative Project Successfully Completed

A couple weeks ago, my mom sent me an issue of Crafts 'n Things magazine (carried at most Hancock Fabrics stores). Oh man, oh man, oh man...lemme tell ya...this is a great magazine!!! It's the kind of thing I don't need in my house because it will just give me more ideas on stuff to try.

Seriously, this is probably the BEST crafting magazine I've ever seen. It's similar in content, in some ways, to Flea Market Style magazine, but with paper and fabric crafts included. There were so many things to try, but I think if I had gotten too carried away, it would have involved too much money being spent on too much thrift store furniture (to be refurbished) to live in room we don't have for it.

But a small project I tried out was the vintage memo board. I've included a scan of the page in case anyone is interested in trying it themselves.


I was able to make a few simple changes to it. Instead of using the backing board they recommended, I took apart an old cork board I had here already (didn't have to spend anything on it...bonus!). I found an old-ish frame (with a God awful ugly carousel horse print in it) at a local thrift store (only spend $2.99 plus tax) for a 15 3/4" x 21 3/4" frame.


This is a bad close up of the frame before I started on it. I took coarse and fine pieces of sandpaper to sand through some of the existing varnish on it. I wanted to antique up but I didn't want to lose too much of the detail in the frame. I was able to age it some what and even brought out a lighter shade of the wood.

My husband cut the cork board down for me to fit inside the frame. I made a trip over to Hancock's to pick up some burlap ($5 something for a yard) and then wrapped the board with it. I stapled it in place and laid it inside the frame. That burlap around the edges made it fit perfectly snug inside the frame. I added a couple of tiny nails to the corners of the frame since it was originally a little loose when I bought it. It was originally made to be nail-free construction with some kind of little plastic dove-tail looking things in the corner, but it was missing one.

For the manila folder, I rubbed some antique brown ink along the edges and in front of the tab. The images are some color print outs of some vintage stamps, travel posters of flapper photos. I just glued them down randomly on the folder in kind of a loose collage.

After a trip to A.C. Moore, I picked up two antique replica keys by Blue Moon Beads, just for fun, and a yard stick ($13.09).


I had Hubby trim down the yardstick to about 17". It was a good thing I had plenty left over, because when I nailed it to the frame, I cracked one end! I was able to use the other end of the yard stick instead. I even rubbed on that same antique brown ink on the yard stick as well, quick and dirty style. I nailed in a couple of extra nails and hung the decorative keys on it.



I was able to reuse a picture hanger on the back that my husband had originally planned to use on another project. He didn't like how that hung and removed the hangers and I used one here.

I'm really happy with how this turned out. The original cork board I had, in this same spot, was just way too big. It was actually double the size of this one. The most time consuming part was actually the sanding. If I had been able to find an older frame, I might not have chosen to sand it. I did check the free listing of my local Craigslist to see if I could find a really rough looking one, but no luck. Overall, I think I spent only $20 for this project.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sackboy...or a Monster?

I got suckered into another crochet project for a friend...Sackboy from Little Big Planet.



This little wiener is actually part 1 of a 3 part project. Nicole, the knitter, wanted a Sackboy, "large enough to hit people with."


I tell ya, I was so happy to finally be finished with this little twit. I'm not completely happy with how he turned out. I think I should have made his arms and fingers shorter. But I do like how his zippered chest turned out (it's a working zipper with a pocket behind it) and how his mouth turned out (CD cut in half, and layered between two pieces of black felt).

I know this version of Sackboy isn't the right color. If anything, his colors are actually reversed. But Nicole didn't care what color he was and neither of us felt like buying MORE yarn when I could just use what I've already got. He's a combination of Wool Ease and the ugly ass twiney yarn from my friend, Jan. I thought it seemed especially appropriate for a project for a friend that I used yarn from another friend.

Parts 2 and 3 of this project are this: Nicole wants a normal sized Sackgirl and her friend's son wants a normal sized Sackboy. I just can't get away from this little weirdo! :) Now, for Sackgirl, she's going to have hair. Nicole wants a removable wig but I think that's getting a little carried away with what I am capable of. So, her hair is going to be rooted to her little head...I'm thinking pink pigtails. And I did tell Nicole she had to give the yarn for at least Sackgirl, so I got a 1 pound or so cake of this gorgeous variegated Alpaca wool to play with!

But here's where the monster part of Sackboy comes in. Nicole helps one of her roommates take care of his nephew a couple days a week. Ronan is about 2, I think. Nicole was completely smitten with Sackboy and it turns out that Ronan was too...to a degree.

Sometimes, you just can't keep kids from jumping on the furniture. Bad, Sackboy! Bad!
This particular Sackboy had black felt circles glued on for eyes. Notice I said had. Ronan decided Sackboy was a monster and peeled his eyes off. Somehow, making him blind made Sackboy seem a little less like a monster. Nicole said she had to go out and buy some big black buttons to replace the eyes. :)