Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Wild Yarn Bomber Approaches!


Who left a partial light pole cozy/yarn bomb in Norfolk, VA under the cover of darkness, at the intersection of Executive and Evans? It's a variety of yarns, about 10" in length.

Got The First Christmas Craft Finished

Off and on since early June, I was working on a small blanket that will end up going to my niece for Christmas. It was my mental crafting break when I needed some time away from the heaviness and warmth of the Steelers blanket I was making for my husband.

I had actually learned about the starghan on one of the crochet pages in Craftster and decided I wanted to give it a try. Let me just say right now, it's actually a little harder than it looks. Oh yes, there was some cussing involved. To get started, I used Diva Crochet's directions because her (free) pattern made the most sense out of all of the ones I looked at. Once I felt like I had the center pretty well in hand, I switched over to following Beth's pattern, which was also free.
Before I started with Diva's pattern, I found some other half-assed pattern that didn't make any sense at all, so I started over completely. As you can see, the indents on the star are not uniform, but the points are. I lost count of a couple of times, but thankfully, my niece is not even one year old yet, so she won't pick out the mistakes on her odd starghan from her odd aunt. :)

This was made with a G sized hook. From point to point, it's 45" across. As for the pattern and colors, I basically winged those, working with the baby colored yarns I already had, and either working in rows of 2's or 5's before changing colors. For it, I used the following:
--2 skeins of Premier Yarns-Dream-in Baby Pink (24-204) (This is the shocking pink color. I really think it should be renamed Tooth Crackin' Sweet Pink because that is totally a color found only in candy! It was because of how strong this color is, that I felt the need to work in some other colors to tame it down.)
--Half skein of Caron Simply Soft in Orchid (2664)
--1 1/2 skeins of Lion Brand Baby Soft in Nursery Print (250) (This Nursery Print is exceptionally close to their Candy Print (217) that I used to make some baby clothes for a friend earlier this year.)
--1 1/2 skeins of Lion Brand Fun Fur in pink (101) (This looks solid soft pink from a distance, but when I started working with it, I realized it's almost a variegated light pink and white.)
--Left over yellow (maybe a half skein), probably Caron Simply Soft


Even with the mistakes, like the Steelers blanket, I am happy how this turned out because it was a new project for me to try. I've come a long ways since those granny square blankets I started with!

And on a geeky note, I'd like to add that this blanket reminds me of Starro, "...an alien resembling a giant starfish that arrives on Earth and places the residents of Happy Harbor and Rhode Island under its mental control. The heroes Aquaman; the Flash; Hal Jordan; Martian Manhunter and Wonder Woman team to defeat the alien, eventually coating it (at the suggestion of Snapper Carr) with quicklime, which nullifies its abilities." I don't know what that says about me.

But until Christmas, I'll be hunting down a box to keep this in, safe from any cat looking for a snuggly place to take a nap and claim it as her blankie. That might be the hardest thing to do now!

Friday, August 20, 2010

Done With Sackboy, Finally!

Whooooo, I've been busy! I am finally finished with Sackboy and Sackgirl! These little darlings were made from this pattern at Nerdigurumi, so because they are so small, they are much closer to the correct size Sackboy should be, compared to the larger one I made earlier. I made them both with an F sized hook. (And please note, they both have sewn on buttons for eyes, instead of glued on felt circles. Hopefully, if Ronan decides these are monsters, he will have a harder time blinding them!)


I almost think this one should be called Son of Sackboy. He was actually made entirely out of that ugly ass twine yarn from my friend Jan, which was also used for the larger Sackboy. This little guy is a knot off the old skein! He actually went to Nicole's friend and co-worker, Tina, who wanted him for her son. I've asked for a photo of his face when he opens this gift. If I get one, I'll be sure to post it. The funny thing is that when Tina came over to meet me after receiving Sackboy, she was carrying him around in the front of her shirt. Maybe we should call him Rackboy!


I finished Sackgirl up this morning by attaching the zipper. I did try to make her a wig of various brown and tan yarns, but I just didn't have the attention span for this tiny little head. Nicole is actually going to make a couple of moppet wigs herself for Sackgirl once she receives her this weekend. She was made out of the beautiful variegated Alpaca wool Nicole had picked out. Obviously, we have LOADS of it left so the rest of that cake (it didn't come in a skein or a ball even) will be used for a project for Nicole's friend, Joe.

And the best part of all this...I can move on to something else to crochet! No more Sackboy!!!!!