Sunday, January 23, 2011

Why Do I Try to Sew For Myself?

I just get pissed off at myself when I sew.

I have my computer playing my MP3's in the background. While I'm getting pissed off, I realized I'm listening to "Up In Here" by DMX ("Y'all gonna make me lose my mind."), "How Bizarre" by OMC ("Ohh baby, it's making me crazy.") and "Killing in the Name" by Rage Against the Machine (more like rage against the SEWING machine).

I bought a nice plaid H&M skirt at a local consignment shop last month, My Best Friend's Closet. I tried it on at the store and it fit, but I didn't sit down to try it for length that way. I wore it for the first time last week to work and all day long, I felt like I was tugging it down because it just felt too short. I asked my husband if he thought it was too short and he didn't think so. Even the people I work with didn't say anything about it, so it might have just been in my head.

After reading all about various clothing reconstruction projects on blogs and on Craftster, I thought I could modify my skirt so I could keep it. Because, I couldn't bring myself to waste the $3 I spent on that skirt. :)

I went to Wal-Mart and picked up some interfacing (which I probably didn't need) and a yard of brown faux suede material. I know I didn't need a full yard, but I wanted enough in case I needed extra. After getting home, I think I had a little bit of buyer's remorse on the fabric. I had been in a hurry and realized my suede wasn't as dark as I would have liked. But I realized that when I turned the fabric over, I liked that shade of brown better so I actually used the wrong side as the right side.

I dropped the hem on the skirt, which gave me an extra 1" to work with, measured out the width of the skirt's front and back and cut the suede and interfacing to match.

Actually, I measured wrong the first time and short myself by two inches in width and do it over again. Swearing ensued.

And by the way, I think my interfacing packaging was wrong. It said to place a damp cloth over the interfacing and iron over that. When I tried that, I couldn't get the interfacing to take to the fabric. All I made was a bunch of steam from the iron.

I recut the fabric and interfacing again and got it to fit this time. I used two pieces of the suede, folded over in half with interfacing in between. I sewed them together for width and then sewed along the folded bottom edge to give it a straight edge (ironed first, of course). I pinned the new bottom edge to the undone hem of the skirt and realized that yep, it was going to fit this time.

I spent about $8 and some change and added about 4" in length to my skirt, so now I'll be able to wear it and be comfortable. I probably made the bottom band of brown heavier in weight that necessary. It's definitely heavier than the upper plaid fabric, but there is also a shorter brown satin "slip" inside there as well.

I am pretty proud of how it turned out so if I have something else that I want to modify, then I'll probably take another crack at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment