Sunday, May 8, 2011

Another Random Blanket

It's not really this dull in color. I used my cell phone to take this picture.
Please pardon the lazy woman's method of blocking a crocheted blanket. :) I left it hanging in my laundry room for about a week because I was over the damn thing finally.

This is another random stashbuster baby blanket. I made it for a new nephew that will be born this summer. I had actually set out to crochet a blanket for him from an actual pattern. I started one pattern from Leisure Arts Color-Charged Throws (hated it), frogged it and started a second pattern from the same book. I hated the second one even more. So I decided it was time to go back to my mental numbing favorite, just a free formed granny rectangle, tried and true.

I actually started with two granny squares, sewn together with single crochets into one piece and just went from there. The finished size is about 2.5' wide by 4' long. I don't even remember what size hook I used anymore.

--leftover Lion Brand Wool Ease in Oxford Grey (#152), from the Phannie hat
--1 skein of Lion Brand Wool Ease Worsted Weight in Mushroom (#403)
--1 skein of Lion Brand Vanna's Choice in Purple (#147)
--1 skein of Caron Natura in Deep Violet (#0032)
--1 skein of Lion Brand Wool Ease in an unknown variegated purple/blue/grey color
--2 different leftover skeins of some kind of Lion Brand chenille variegated yarns
--1 different leftover cake of some kind of gold chenille and another of khaki chenille from The Chenille Shack

The gold/khaki chenille and the Mushroom Wool Ease was worked as alternating rows of Treble Crochets, Double Crochets and then Half Double Crochets. Everything else was the traditional granny stitch (the grouping of 3 HDC's).

I really dig these totally random, free form blankets. I just work on it until my gut tells me I'm done. I don't necessarily run out of yarn, because I can find ways to match other stuff to it, either in color or texture.

2 comments: