Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Problem With Sizing Continues and a Free Adult "Edith" Hat Pattern

I really, really, really need to learn how to make freaking TODDLER SIZED hats and then maybe these hats will not come out large enough for an adult. But then again, if I could get past my "Despicable Me" phase, that might be nice too.

In my own defense, I was making Edith's hat from "Despicable Me" and I was actually trying to make it larger because it struck me as a too-big hat being purposely worn by a small child. Too bad my version of that hat didn't turn out like that. This fits an adult. I tried it on tonight and laughed my ass off. I couldn't bring myself to post that photo here though.

This was a fun hat to work on, because of trying to get that pointed top just right. It's not a rounded beanie or stocking cap, so I actually worked on the top part of my version about three times before getting it to how I have it now.

Really, any good hat pattern that you already should work for this hat. This is just my version, which was scribbled notes on the back of scrap paper on my lunch breaks at work, so please excuse the shorthand version of this pattern, compared to the extra long crap I typically come up with. :)

Materials
--G sized hook
--1 skein of Red Heart Super Saver in Baby Pink (#0724)
--1 skein of Red Heart Super Saver in Country Rose (#0374)

Hat
Row 1: Start with the Light Pink (this hat is worked from the top down). Make a magic circle (chain 1 and 7 SC). Pull tight and secure with a slip stitch. Note: although it is not mentioned anywhere else in this pattern, all rows are secured with a slip stitch (before the end chain). The hat is not turned and the seam of where the rows are joined is the back of the hat.
Row 2: Work 2 SC in each stitch around. Chain 1.
Row 3: Repeat row 2.
Rows 4 & 5: Work 1 HDC in each stitch around. Chain 2.
Row 6: Work 1 HDC in each stitch around and increase by 3 evenly spaced HDC. Chain 2.
Rows 7 & 8: Start with 1 HDC in each of the first two stitches, and then 2 HDC in the third stitch. Repeat this pattern all the way around. Chain 2.
Rows 9-11: Start with 1 HDC in each of the first three stitches, and then 2 HDC in the fourth stitch. Repeat this pattern all the way around. Chain 2.

As I look back on my notes and type this, I think rows 9-11 are where the sizing may have gotten away from me. :)

Row 12: Repeat row 4.
Row 13: Start with 1 HDC in each of the first four stitches, and then 2 HDC in the fifth stitch. Repeat this pattern all the way around. Chain 2.
Row 14: Switch to the Country Rose. Work 1 FP HDC in each stitch around. Chain 2. The link I have here is a really good page about how to switch colors in crochet, if you're not familiar with it, so that everything lines up correctly.
Row 15: Work 1 HDC in each stitch around, back loop only. Chain 2.
Row 16: Work 1 HDC in each stitch around. Chain 2.
Row 17: Switch to the Light Pink. Work 1 FP HDC in each stitch around. Chain 2.
Rows 18-21: Work 1 HDC in each stitch around. Chain 2.
Row 22: Switch to the Country Rose. Repeat Row 14.
Row 23: Repeat Row 15.
Row 24: Repeat Row 16.
Row 25: Switch to the Light Pink. Repeat Row 17.
Rows 26-29: Repeat Row 18.
Row 30: Switch to Country Rose. Repeat Row 14.
Rows 31 & 32: Repeat Row 15. Fasten off your yarn with a slip stitch at the end of Row 32.

Earflaps (Make 2):
Row 1: With the Light Pink, chain 26.
Row 2: In the second chain from the hook, start working 1 HDC in each stitch back. Chain 2.
Row 3: Work 1 HDC in each stitch across and 2 HDC in the last stitch. Chain 2.
Row 4: Repeat Row 2.
Row 5: Repeat Row 3.
Row 6: Repeat Row 2.
Row 7: Work 1 HDC in each stitch across and work the last 2 HDC tog. Chain 2.
Row 8: Repeat Row 2.
Row 9: Repeat Row 7.
Row 10: Repeat Row 2. Fasten off your yarn with a slip stitch and leave a long length for attaching the earflap to the hat.

Construction:
Flatten the hat with the seam on one edge. Find the center of each side and sew the earflaps into the INSIDE of the hat with whip stitches, using that length of Light Pink yarn you left. Attach them so the top flat edge is lined up on the Light Pink, somewhere around Row 28 (the pointed end faces down). Trim off any loose ends.

With the Light Pink yarn, cut three lengths of 48” each and then double over. Stick the crochet hook through the bottom center of one of the earflaps from the inside out and catch the loop where the yarns are doubled over together. Attach the yarns as if you were making a tassel. Pull the yarns snug and braid. Secure the end with a single knot and trim if necessary. Repeat this same action for the tassel on top of the hat, but cut the yarn into lengths of 24".

2 comments:

  1. hello, im trying to work on your pattern and im a little confused at
    "Row 6: Work 1 HDC in each stitch around and increase by 3 evenly spaced HDC. Chain 2."
    what does the increase by 3 even spaced HDC mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it took me a few days to get back to you on this. I just randomly worked in three extra HDC's. Try and space them out in thirds of the circumference of the hat. It will help keep the hat with the correct shaping.

      Delete