Saturday, December 10, 2011

Fa la la la la, la la la BLRT!!!!!

That BLRT above is supposed to be me blowing a raspberry.

I think I'm finally starting to get into the Christmas spirit this year. I'm almost done with my shopping and crafting for my friends and family, and I have a few more little things to make for Back-Up, Inc., but the big stuff is done or on it's way. I've actually been shopping and crafting since September, give or take. I hate letting that kind of shopping go until the last minute, sales be damned.

I've even decided what my New Year's Resolution will be: no more buying crochet patterns. If I can't find it for free online, then it means I have to create it myself. I've done a pretty damn good job with what already this year. I've only bought one pattern.

The reason I'm thinking about my resolution already this year because of this hat: Penny's double tail Santa hat from The Big Bang Theory. April Draven at Craftster came up with a crochet pattern for that hat and I meant to buy it earlier this year but I never got around to it. And as I lurked around the internet for a crochet pattern, I realized this is a damn popular hat!

I wonder if it's because of the show or the hat's design. Either way, I'm a fan of both now that the show's had some time to grow on me. It's programmed in our DV-R for the new episodes on CBS and some of the older episodes on TBS.

Last week, I decided I needed a new Santa hat for myself since I altered the one I had from the Dollar Tree earlier this year. I wanted Penny's hat, but I didn't want a typical red and white hat. And then I started to wonder why, if Santa uses chimneys to get into people's homes (if there is one), why does he have white trim on his hat and suit? All that soot and ash will just make a mess of the trim. So, I decided to take a crack at my own hat but with black trim and pom poms, to disguise that imaginary soot and ash.

I couldn't get a decent picture of myself wearing this to save my life!
Because there are so many people selling their patterns of this hat online, I didn't write down what I did to make this hat. I also didn't make cables on the sides of this hat because when I got to that point where the cables would start, I started getting frustrated and I had a headache to begin with. So instead of cables, I did front post half double crochets from the hat band all the way up: 3 FPHDC on the outsides and 1 FPHDC on the insides of the tails.

This was made on an H sized hook out of some ooooooooooooooooold black worsted weight yarn from my grandma and 1.25 skeins of Premier Yarns Mega Brushed in Wild Berry Sorbet (#51-205). To me, it looks more like a red cammo print than anything else, but it's super soft and very warm, with great shades of red throughout it.

No comments:

Post a Comment