Friday, June 24, 2011

Stuff I'm Working On

I've got two projects going at the same time right now: what will hopefully be a lifesize Minion from "Despicable Me," and a crocheted curtain panel of a Chinese take out box.

The Chinese take out box pattern comes from Maria Merlino and can be found here. "I'm a professional designer with patterns published by Annie's Attic, The Needlework Shop, The American School of Needlework, Annie's Patterns and Needlework, Crochet World and Annie's Scrap Crochet Club."

It's worked from the bottom up, and I've just gotten done with the bottom edge of the box. While the pattern looks like it's 70x100 stitches (it could be done this way very easily), Maria actually wrote out the directions to be larger than that, three times larger, if I'm reading it correctly. If that's the case and I'm doing it right, this should be an easy pattern to re-size. I'm making it 140x200, at least, that's my plan, because the window I'm making it for is upstairs in our attic/my crafting room and it's not a huge window anyway.

The Minion project is based on this pattern from Wolfdreamer. I combined some glow in the dark yarn with the yellow I've been working with to make his body. I'm not keeping track of the pattern, but I'm about 75% done with the yellow body so far.

In the past, I've never had more than one project going before. For some reason lately, I have been doing just that. I've also gotten back to crocheting while watching old Doctor Who episodes. I'm a few episodes into the third Doctor so far.

I'm also back on the scooter again too. I just picked it up from the dealership last night after being repaired. Ahhhh, it looks so pretty again! I got most of the damaged parts back too. The front fender will hopefully be turned into a hanging lamp (the shape of it reminds me of a lamp shade) and maybe the front piece of the scooter will become a shelf of some kind. The broken turn signal will be hung in the garage at my husband's request, next to the turn signal that broke off his CBR when he wrecked it a few years ago. Our friend Bob suggested I turn the old windshield into a picture frame but I didn't get that piece back. That's alright though, because I think I have enough stuff to keep myself busy with the box of parts I got as it is. Now all I have to do is get the Blazer fixed, because something is going to crap with it again, and I should be all set again, vehically-speaking. Is that even a word? Vehically? Vehiclely? I don't know.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Floppy Hat Pattern for Summer

The caregiver of one our patients told me on Friday she wanted to get a floppy brimmed hat for her grandmother so she could take her outside more often. I asked if I could make one for her since I have loads of donated yarn from another caregiver. She said that was alright with her, so I used this pattern to make her a floppy brimmed hat.

The brim on the hat I made is a little wider. I used an I sized hook for the hat, and added a picot edge to it with a G sized hook (which, incidentally, was tucked into one of the donated skeins of yarn!). I'm going to give the finished hat to the patient's nurse tomorrow to take with her when she sees the patient next. :)