Sunday, March 25, 2012

One Step Closer To Being a Jedi

I just completed a new prop for the Jedi costume I've been working: the Jedi communicator. From all the research I've been doing online, it looks like the various communicators are somewhat the same but not all identical.

It's been a little while since I looked at the Rebel Legion's costume standards page for a generic Old Republic Jedi, so I gave that a quick check today.Which I was glad I did...I realized i need to pick up two more small belt pouches. I'm going to hold off on dying the one I have. It's kind of expected that you have some accessories, that aren't toys, to be a member.

Some of the pages I looked at for communicator inspiration and guidance were Kin-Char Bamin,the Grand Florida Alliance, and the Padawan's Guide (of course!). Fun Star Wars fact to share: did you know the communicators from Episode 1 were made from ladies Gillette Excel razors? They are super difficult to find now. I couldn't find one in any store, so I bought mine from a seller on eBay.

So here's what I used to make my communicator:
--1 pink ladies Gillette Excel razor
--Instant Krazy Glue, in the craft bottle
--1 can of Rust-O-Leum Painter's Touch in Aluminum
--1 can of Rust-O-Leum Painter's Touch in clear coat (You aren't going to use entire cans, it's just what I swiped from my husband's stash of goodies.)
--2 scrapbooking brads--unknown size of these, but they were part of the Craftster Flat Rate Paper Craft Supply swap
--2 nuts, from the garage here, the brads just happen to fit perfectly inside these
--assorted washers, I used four
--assorted flat pieces of metal, bought from a local Ace Hardware, I used 9 and don't even remember what they were called
--2 air valve caps from my bike (replaced with some new ones from Christmas)
--2 aluminum rivets, also from Ace Hardware
--tiny bit of red craft paint (for the end of the rivets)

Before starting work

A pile of crap, a lot of which I didn't used. I did try to paint some of the flat pieces black but it was crafting paint and didn't take to the metal very well.

Using the rivets as my antenna.

The front: did another 2 coats of aluminum spray paint and 1 coat of the clear. Painted the rivet tips red and added the valve covers afterwards.


(Hitting buttons) Why won't this damn thing work? I can't get a signal!

The back with more detail here.
I wonder if I can get a message out to Naboo from here on a cloudy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment