Friday, March 23, 2012

Walking At Work

It's been quite some time since I posted anything about walks on my lunch breaks. (And no, the milk thistles never panned out.) But the weather is nice, spring is here, and I'm starting to feel like I need the break away from all things work-related now when it's lunch time during the week.

I went walking through our office park today on my lunch break, after a quick trip over to the gas station on the scooter. There's a creek that cuts through our office park. I don't know if there's a name for it, since it doesn't even show up in Google maps. It's a running creek, but I can't even pinpoint where it feeds from.

Anyway, I've driven and ridden past it a million times, it seems, and I decided today was the day to stop and take a closer look at it.

This was just a quick picture I snapped with my phone, set on the "sunny day" setting. This is looking north. It might be about 8 feet wide here and obviously not very deep. I'd say where the road goes over it here, it's just a few inches deep.

There are some ducks about halfway from where I'm standing on North Center Drive to the fallen tree. There's also some good sized minnows swimming around in there.

The tree actually fell over last year. I think it was last summer during a freak thunderstorm (the creek had risen about halfway up from the rain). The top of the tree actually damaged a car's hood that was parked there.

On my return walk, I stopped on the other side of the creek (facing south). I need to take a picture of that side next time. A frog had jumped into the water on the other side. I would have taken a photo of the southside of the creek today, but a guy from a mobile car wash service was there, and he kept staring at me while I was looking at the creek, in both directions. I guess he never saw anyone snapping pictures of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment