Saturday, May 19, 2012

Made Some Crack The Other Night...

Crack pretzels, that is.

Lorraine Eaton of The Virginian-Pilot had this recipe in one of her columns way back in September 2011 and I saved it all this time. I had a crocheting class that I taught a few nights ago (almost a total flop, not going to talk about it) and I made these the night before because I wanted them.

Most of the commenters on her page didn't approve of the recipe name or title of her column, because of the drug implications. I thought it was funny and witty, because truthfully, these little suckers are hard to keep your hands off of. We kept passing the bowl around the table last night, saying. "Get these things away from me! I don't need anymore." But when the bowl made itself back around to each of us, we were dipping into it for more.

Crack Pretzels 
  • 2 pounds Rold Gold pretzels -- I just bought 1 lb
  • 1 bottle Orville Redenbacher popcorn oil --   I couldn't find any popcorn oil at my store that wasn't butter flavored, and I hate, hate, HATE the way artificial butter flavoring smells. I substituted this with 1 1/2 sticks of melted unsalted butter.
  • 2 teaspoons garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon dill weed
  • 1 pack dry ranch dressing mix
Mix the oil (butter), garlic salt, dressing mix and dill weed together. Put it all in a 2-gallon Ziploc bag; add the pretzels shake and let sit for a few hours. I hate buying plastic bags, so I mixed the seasoning ingredients together in a sauce pan, put some pretzels into a large bowl, poured some of the seasoning over the top of the pretzels, and then mixed them together to coat. Then I just kept repeating this until everything was mixed together.

I thought these were pretty damn good. I heard a good variation on this recipe from someone taking the class: oyster crackers with the same kind of seasonings and then baked. Wow, that sounds too good to not try one of these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment