Friday, June 29, 2012

Trying to Get Back In the Groove

I haven't felt much like writing anything lately and I've been busy anyway. We're still working on the thank you cards for my mother-in-law's service and trying to get addresses for a handful of people.

Here's my thought of the day: If you go to a funeral and there's a sign-in book, please consider writing down your address as well. The family might already have it, but if they don't, they are going to need it.

Unfortunately, there are people we are not going to have addresses to send them a card, thanking them for attending Mom's service. We've gone to multiple family members with our list of needed addresses and even looked people up online, but there are people who will not hear from us because they didn't leave an address and no one knows how to get a hold of them. Shoot, I actually sent the idea of including an address in the guest book over to Hints from Heloise over at The Washington Post.

Anyway, I think I may have come up with a partially original fish batter last night. I couldn't find a recipe for a batter in any of my cook books last night, so I decided to wing it, based on what I knew I needed.

--1 bottle of beer, your choice
--2 eggs, slightly beaten
--2 1/2 cups of flour
--1 teaspoon of Cajun flavored spices (your choice, optional)
--Tabasco sauce or hot sauce of your choice
--catfish cutlets, thawed
--oil for frying

I mixed the beer and eggs together first, and then added the flour to this mixture in 1/2 cup increments. This makes a thick batter, so I was glad I added the spices. (The Cajun spices we had was some brand I'd never heard of before and my husband had picked up along the way.) It just added a hint of flavor, which was good to cut down the batter a bit.

Heat the oil in a skillet (we have a deep fryer but I didn't want to drag that out last night) over medium-high heat.  Once it's hot, coat the catfish cutlets and add them to the oil. I turned them after about 5 minutes and let them fry until the batter was a dark golden color. As the batter cooked, there were some places where it cracked open, but that was on the meatier, bigger cutlets.

Allow the cutlets to drain/dry on a plate covered with a paper towel. Before serving, throw on a little hot sauce.

I'm sure this is not an original recipe, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. And so was my husband...we both went back for seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment