Monday, August 27, 2012

Almost Done With Another Blanket

I'm just about done with another blanket. This one should be done tonight with a picture to follow then. It's just a regular SC/DC crochet pattern from a Lion Brand book I've had for awhile.

I actually started this in time for Mother's Day, with the idea that I'd give it to her then. But my mom is a sewer and admitted to me one time that she doesn't care much for homemade gifts, so I didn't give this to her. In fact, I started taking my time with it, working on it when I didn't have anything else to do, in front of the tv. It turned into a stashbuster project as well. I thought I'd keep it for myself. Well, up until yesterday, I thought that.

I was talking to my mom last night on the phone. She's starting chemo again on Wednesday this week: 1 round every 3 weeks for 3 rounds. Her uterine cancer spread again, this time into her liver. My grandma had liver cancer and she died from it. Grandma was 63. My mom is only 59.

Anyway, Mom mentioned how cold she's been lately because she's not feeling good, very tired and weak, which is not like her. So I told her that in about a week, she'd be getting a package from me: a new blanket that I made. She liked that idea and said she can use it at home on the couch, or maybe she'd take it with her to her treatments. I told her it's a good size but still it would be easy to travel with (I estimate it to be about 6'x4'). So as of last night, I realized it was time to get cracking on this thing. All I have left to do is finish the tassels on this.

Since it's a stashbuster, here's what it's made out of, on a J sized crochet hook:
--2 skeins of Poems 100% wool in #588--Love love LOVE this yarn
--Half skein of Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Cornmeal (#0220)--"Cornmeal" is just about the perfect name for this color
--3 skeins of Plymouth Yarn in Boku (#17)--Really enjoy the texture of the Plymouth and Ella Rae yarns: the Plymouth is a sturdy, strong yarn while the Ella Rae ends up, finished, much prettier than you think that texture would work
--2 skeins of Plymouth Yarn in Vizions (#103)
--2 skeins of Ella Rae yarn in #204
--1 skein of Tartelette yarn in #731--A fun ribbon yarn that ended up being a variegated yarn and I didn't realize it when I bought it
--2 skeins of Berroco yarn in #2816
--partial Lion Brand one pounder in Denim (#110)
--partial Lion Brand one pounder in Pastel Yellow (#157)--This is the same yarn I used for my minions.

I was thinking about making this for Mom instead, when I saw this pattern online a few days ago, but the whole time I was thinking she'd prefer the blanket instead. I guess I'll save the shawl pattern for me.

1 comment:

  1. Amy,
    I am so sorry to hear about your mom. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. If she ever needs a ride to treatment or anything, ok?
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete