Sunday, October 14, 2012

Weekend Craftiness

It was a good weekend and fairly productive. I've realized my Halloween pony project is listed on Crafter as a "Hot New Project," which makes me extremely giddy for some goofy reason.

Michelle the Cook and I hit a couple craft shows on Saturday. I was able to pick up a birthday gift for my sister at the first show. For the second show, we drove so far SE into Virginia Beach , we thought we were going to wind up in North Carolina! They both took places at churches, and the second one was a combination craft show/yard sale. That second show didn't look like much when we got there. However, things started looking up once we got a little further into the church, and past the ladies selling homemade bread and jams. Right away, we spotted some snowman stuff, and Michelle loves snowmen, so that was good.

On the way out, I took a look at some glass kitchen canisters that were on a table outside. This picture doesn't do the color justice. they are more of  pinkish purple color, so if you know me, you know why I got them. I love the color. The color isn't totally consistent  It's missing in random spots here and there, so without much inspection, I thought they were antiques of some sort.

When I got home and started washing them, the original stickers from Ross were still on the bottom. So much for being antiques. :) Ross had them priced at about $24 for the set. I got the set for $5.

To be honest, there were a couple items there for sale (used, not crafted) that if I could have taken photos of them, I would have posted them here in a heartbeat! It wouldn't have worked or been appropriate, with all of the old ladies of the church all over the place. One was the remains of a large Yankee Candle jar with just the crust of a candle left at the bottom. It was enough wax to light the wick and then it would have blown itself out immediately. Asking price: 5 cents. Seriously? 

The other thing of note was a pair of earrings, probably some kind of enamel, clip ons, left over from the 80's. I don't remember the price but I immediately thought of Regretsy when I saw them. No joke, they looked like vaginas. Shudder.

I finally got another baby blanket finished. This one is for some friends of ours who made the announcement by texting me a photo of an ultrasound, about three weeks ago. They are having a girl.

This blanket's color scheme reminds me of pink lemonade, and is pretty appropriate for a little girl. It's another stash buster project. It measures 36" wide, was made with a J sized crochet hook and from the following yarns:
--random partial skein of Red Heart Super Saver in pale yellow (no label)
--1 1/3 skeins of Red Heart Super saver in Petal Pink (#373)
--3/4 skein of Tartelette ribbon yarn in a variegated purple/pink (#731)

I just got this Christopher & Banks skirt out of the washing machine. I've had it for a while. My mom actually got it for me. I like it but it's a little bit on the bland side. I think it's because it's so dark and I usually don't wear that dark of denim.

I came across this tutorial last weekend: the DIY Ombre Skirt. I've bleached the holy hell out of the bottom part of this skirt and can't get it as white as I would like but it was looking pretty good when I rinsed it and threw it into the washer.

Aweeeesommmmmeeee! (Sing songy voice)
I am going to let it air dry tonight and run it through the dryer in the morning with a dryer sheet. It still really smells like bleach, even after being washed. Originally. I thought I hadn't been able to get the bottom as stark white as I would have liked, but it surprised me. And even though I rinsed the skirt out before washing it, that middle section came out lighter than I wanted, but still...I love how this turned out!!!!! My laundry room was a little dark tonight, so the top part is really not that dark. The before picture above it actually truer to life.


No comments:

Post a Comment