Sunday, December 16, 2012

A New Magazine to Check Out

My mom gave me a couple issues of a new magazine called Love of Crochet. With the Winter 2012 issue, they are now a year old and can start offering subscriptions. Previously, they had only been available to purchase each issue individually.

I have the Winter 2012 and Holiday 2012 issues. They do have some cute patterns in them, but I am not impressed.

As far as the types of patterns go, you'd really find mind more and better free patterns on any of the yarn companies' sites, Craftster or Ravelry. Hell, there are some bloggers out there that have come up with better quality patterns, either for how the project finishes up or how clearly the pattern is written.

Don't get me wrong...like I said, there are some cute patterns in these issues that I want to try out, but I don't have much faith in them. I don't know how well they are checked for accuracy. For example, the "Urban Chic" cap pattern (Winter 2012, pg 28-29) is listed as being an intermediate skill project: at row 5, it stops making any sense. I don't know if it's me or it's because of how the pattern is written.

I guess the reason I'm so critical of the Urban Chic hat is because it looked like a good chemo cap option for my mom. She said she'd like something with a slightly open weave so her head doesn't get too warm. Even though she has a couple from the hospital, I wanted to make her one.

G sized crochet hook and about 3/4 of a skein of Premier Yarns in Mega Brushed in color 51-225. You can see the start of another (smaller) version of this hat on the side, that I'm making for my niece.
But since the Urban Chic pattern didn't really turn out, I looked through the Holiday issue and found the "Christmas Cuties" pattern (pg 40-41). It's a granny square-style of hat for a little girl and one of her dolls. I obviously increased the overall sizing of the hat, using own head as the model. I just hope having hair on my head didn't screw up the sizing for my mom's head.

The good thing about the patterns in the magazine is the yarn definition. They break down the best choices for each project as what to buy if you want to save some money, if you want something nice, or if you want to really splurge and buy something awesome. I thought that was a nice touch.

Personally, I think that with the number of ads and the quality of the patterns, this is a magazine I will be skipping.

1 comment:

  1. I will definitely have to check this magazine out. I bet it is available at Jo Ann's? Thanks for visiting my blog. That does suck that the Steelers lost in OT yesterday.....

    ReplyDelete