Thursday, December 27, 2012

Before I Die, I Want To...

I am, once again, totally ripping off another source for tonight's entry. A few days ago, CNN ran an article online with the same title as this entry.

"On a quiet August day I lost someone I loved very much. Her name was Joan and she was a mother to me for 15 years. Her death was sudden and unexpected, and there were still so many things she wanted to do: Learn to play the piano, live in Paris, see the Pacific Ocean.

"I spent a long time full of grief, and then I felt gratitude for the time we had together. I thought about death a lot, which brought clarity to my life, the people I want to be with, and the things I want to do. But I struggled to maintain this perspective. It's easy to get caught up in the day-to-day and forget what really matters to you," wrote Candy Chang, a TED Fellow, is an artist, designer, and urban planner who explores making cities more comfortable and contemplative places.

I'm not going to copy the entire article here, but what I am going to do is write my bucket list. It's a combination of short term and long term things.
  • I will get a job at some kind of animal shelter, and I'm going to be damn good at whatever I end up doing there.
  • I will get at least one old, beat up piece of wood furniture, save it from going to the landfill, and refinish it.
  • I'd like to go on an LCAC ride with my husband before he transfers to his new command.
  • I will go to see the Booth Trail in 2013.
  • I will go to Natural Bridge, VA and the Shenandoah Valley and stay in a cabin in the woods in 2013.
  • I will go to Hiddenite Gems, an emerald mine open to the public, in NC in 2013.
  • I will go to the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. in 2013.
  • I want to go to Tokyo some day. I would like to go to Hiroshima as well, but I've heard that Americans are unofficially unwelcomed there, and I don't blame the Japanese people if that's true.
  • I want to see the pyramids and sphinx in Egypt.
  • I'd love to see the Mona Lisa (she's in the Louvre in Paris) and The Scream (there are a couple, two of them are in Munich).
  • I want to go to London, and maybe look for the TARDIS and the Doctor.
  • I want to go to San Diego to see my best friend, go to Comic Con, wear a costume, take lots of photos, find an awesome looking Spider-Man so I can give him a hug for just being Spidey, and then walk a beach on the Pacific Ocean, looking for shells.
  • I'd like to go to a taping of "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" if we ever go to California.
  • I want to have at least one great, wildly creative crochet pattern published in a real book somewhere.
  • I'd like to have our yard be featured for our Halloween decorations with a local tv station, so people might understand you don't have to spend big bucks on decorations and still put together a great display (I say this because we don't go as crazy for Christmas decorations).
  • I'd like to win a challenge on Craftster.
  • I'd like to compete on Craft Wars on TLC.
  • I will finish the Jedi costume finally and I will join the Rebel Legion in 2013.
  • I will finish the doll house I started several years ago.
  • I want to go to Ohio and see Ralphie Harper's house from The Christmas Story.
  • I want to see Weird Al Yankovic in concert, and maybe even the Bangles if I ever get to California.
  • I want to see the Barenaked Ladies again, the next time they come to Hampton Roads.
  • I want to take my friends to the Virginia Safari drive through park in Stanton, VA.
I can cross off two things that would have been on my bucket list, but I already got them done. They were both concerts. I have always wanted to see Billy Joel and Huey Lewis and the News. I got to see Billy Joel in Virginia Beach in 2008 with my husband and Nicole the Knitter. I've seen Huey Lewis twice: once in Norfolk (this was a free USO concert) in 2005, I think, and once at the oceanfront in Virginia Beach in 2007. I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment