Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sometimes, Holistic Methods Just Don't Work

A quick entry today, reporting in from my family's homes in Iowa. About four days before I left on this trip, I caught a cold. I think I've narrowed it down to 1 of 3 suspect co-workers, one of them being a nurse who can't afford to go to the doctor because her insurance hasn't kicked in yet (oh great, so this stupid cow is going to make her patients even sicker, never mind the fact they are already on hospice, and their families sick as well).*

Anyhoo, I've been drugging myself up like crazy, and in an effort to get rid of this cold and NOT pass it along to my mom, I'm trying something new. I'm still using throat lozenges, DayQuil, NyQuil, Breath Right Strips, and guzzling green tea, I've added apple cider vinegar into the mix.


"Drink it! Yes, that may seem radical or unappealing, but it only takes a teaspoon of it a day. Mix it in some juice or tea and you might not even notice. The benefits of apple cider vinegar are so great that a little distaste shouldn't steer you away," according to one of those eHow pages.

I gotta call bullshit on this. I've been drinking a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, mixed with a couple tablespoons of honey, for four days now. It's done nothing for me except make my stomach hurt. The taste, even with the honey, is horrendous and it doesn't hide the vinegar taste/smell. My cold is the same now as when I started the vinegar. I think this is what evil must taste like. Or maybe the sweat from Osama Bin Ladin's beard, once the seawater from his burial at sea has been rung out of it.

I think I'm going to stick with the drugs and just ride this cold out.

*An after thought here: I know I have the kind hearted blogger badge on the blog here and calling her a stupid cow is the opposite of being a kind hearted blogger. But come on...we have those doc in a box places all over the place out here, Patient First, that she could go to. She tried telling us they would charge her $400 before even touching her and they had to be paid in full.** That's something else I call B.S. on, and so did some of our co-workers. Instead, she's STILL walking around with a germ filled hanky, held over her mouth, coughing into it like she's trying to expel the Devil from her lungs. For a while, she didn't even have a voice but continued to try talking, or squawking or rasping or however you would describe it. That's the kind of nurse we are sending into people's homes.

**I've been to one of those places once. They treated me and sent me a bill afterwards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment