Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Still Learning Things About Crochet

I'm working on a program to make (crochet and/or knit) blanket for the hospice patients that are served by the agency I work for. So far, it's been very slow going...just me and another crocheter are making anything, but we've had a lot of interest in. Just nibbles for now, but I'm hoping for more.

I have learned the most wonderful method of attaching the squares together: the join as you go method. There are a lot of sites that have directions on how to do this, but I wasn't understanding a lot of them. Maybe they are just poorly written tutorials or maybe it's just me.

However, THIS is the best tute for the join as you go method that I've come across so far.

Before, I would give each square a matching border of one more row of 3 DC clusters, and then single crochet them all together on one side, giving that side a waffle-looking print. Nothing wrong with that and it gave the blanket a little bit more texture.

But the join as you go method? LOVE IT! It's so much cleaner looking, faster and a better use of yarn, because you are alternating the 3 DC clusters with a slip stitch.

I've also grown tired of making just regular granny squares. I need to change it up a little bit, so here's two patterns for the ones I like best right now.

This is a square pattern created by Norma over at Norma's Needle Adventures. I like this one because it's got some great weight to it.

This Halloween skull came from So far, this is my favorite new square design. I  keep second guessing myself on this one. I mean, it's blanket project for HOSPICE patients. Do I really want to include a skull?

Is it insensitive to make a Halloween themed blanket? What about a Christmas themed blanket? I don't know. Is it going to be a painful reminder of holidays they will miss, if they are alert enough to know? But I've got loads of yarn still so I think we'll make them anyway. Giving them out might be another story.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Another Slight Modification

The after picture, because this modification is so slight,
it doesn't need a before picture.
This is an XL sized shirt by Mossimo, that I bought a couple weeks ago at Thrift Store USA. I think it cost me $2.99, and I like to Mossimo line already.

I fell in love with this shirt when I saw it but I didn't try it on. Once I got it home and washed it, that's when I finally tried it on. I really should try the clothes on when I'm shopping for them. The store does have fitting rooms.

Anyway, I'm guessing this shirt shrunk at some point, because the arms were tight. Luckily for me, I found this tute over at Crafty stylish on how to fix that.

I won't run through it step by step here, but I dropped the hem, opened up the sleeve, and resewed it. samsstuff, the writer of the tute, has a much better way of explaining it. And again, like the jeans tute I found online, this is extremely common sense, but I didn't think about it on my own...someone smarter than me came up with it. :)

I also removed the ties from this shirt. They were long thin ties, secured at the sides, up by that hem just below the bust. The rest of this shirt was loose and billowy, which is a look I love but doesn't work on me. I think it makes me look chunky or pregnant, and I don't want to look either. To take it in a little bit, I used a hint I learned from another shirt I bought at the thrift store.

I scored this awesome black and red checkered Torrid shirt, buttons down the front, collared and with 3/4 length sleeves. It has a line of buttons down the back as well, to cinch it in a little bit. I pinned the back of this shirt so that it was cinched too, and then sewed it down. This brought it in a little tighter by about 3/4".

I have a thin braided leather belt from some other piece of clothing that I think will look good with this shirt, so I can wear that on my actual waist instead of having it up high. I hope this shirt lasts me for a while, because the material is thin. I can't tell if it's supposed to be like that or if it's been well washed and well used.