Saturday, January 26, 2013

Made Some Hummus and Grilled Cheese Tonight

I like the weekends at home, especially Saturdays. That's when I have more time to for cooking. I do cook during the week, but the weekends are good for experimenting and cooking more than usual.

"Hummus is a Middle Eastern Arabic food spread made from cooked, mashed chickpeas, blended with tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and garlic. Today, it is popular throughout the Middle East, Turkey, North Africa, and in Middle Eastern cuisine round the globe."

I came across this recipe in the cooking section of Craftster, but I'm not sure if this recipe would be a true hummus recipe, but it sure is good! As mentioned above, true hummus has tahini and lemon juice in it. This recipe doesn't.

I used a hand held blender to mash the chickpeas, and actually, made a larger bowl than the recipe calls for. I used 5 cans of chickpeas, because I'm taking this to a get-together tomorrow.
  • 1 can of chickpeas
  • 1/2 cup of chicken broth 
  • 1 clove of garlic (I used powdered garlic because that's all I typically buy)
  • Dash of paprika 
  • 1 TBS of olive oil
  • I added in the smallest dash of Tabasco hot sauce.
Right now, this is in my frig, chilling and letting the flavors mix. I wish I had some shredded Parmesan cheese to go on top but I'm out of that. I might toss some feta cheese crumbles into the middle of it though. The little sample I tried tonight, immediately after making it, was REALLY good.

After the hummus was done, I used a recipe from Sam the Cooking Guy and made his Pesto Grilled Cheese sandwiches for supper. I never cooked with pesto before and told Shane if he didn't like the sandwich, I'd make him a different one. (I didn't tell him the pesto had spinach in it...he probably wouldn't have eaten it.)

At first bite, we decided we both really liked this sandwich. Shane told me later on, "I thought it was strange when you said you had a recipe for a grilled cheese sandwich."


  • About 1/4 cup pre made pesto (I bought a jar at Kroger)
  • 4 slices sourdough bread (I don't like sourdour and used regular white bread)
  • 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
  • 4 slices Havarti cheese
  • Soft butter

    1. Warm non stick skillet over medium heat. 
    2. Spread pesto on two slices of the bread, top with tomato slices, fresh ground pepper, 2 slices of cheese on each and then top with the other slice of bread. 
    3. Butter both sides of sandwiches and cook in pan until golden brown on both sides.
    I'm definitely going to have to start keeping a jar of pesto around as a staple now!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment