I feel like some kind of wanna-be sponge for info about the Doctor, reading up on each installment whenever he's regenerated, as well as the actor that portrayed him. I haven't been this taken with any tv series in a long time. I would guess that "The Office" (US version) and "Deadwood" would be the closest things to obsessions that I've had. I told my husband I wanted to go to Scranton, PA when we went to the Poconos several years ago, for Christ's sake. I geeked out when we saw the Scranton sign on the road into town.
Anyway, all I know is that my scarf is complete, in all it's crocheted, patched and mismatched glory. I started it in mid-November. The crocheting has been completed for awhile, but I just completed the patches this evening. Right now, I am just about ready to watch Tom Baker's final episode as the Doctor, so I guess it's appropriate that I'm finished with the scarf.
I used the original scarf pattern, found at DoctorWhoScarf.com. Even though the true scarves were knit, these patterns show rows and colors, so it was easy to work it as a series of single crocheted rows. I made it with a G sized hook, 40 sc wide. My foundation row was actually 41 sc wide, which equals 8 inches wide and roughly 19 feet long.
I purposely did not go crazy in trying to match the colors perfectly. I didn't want to get bogged down with this project. I wanted to enjoy it and just kind of take it as it all came. In fact, there were a couple colors of yarn that I didn't have enough to complete the scarf, so I added in another yarn of a similar color each time. To me, it just made me think the Doctor would approve. I'm pretty sure this is a complete list of the yarn I used.
- 1 skein of SignatuR Handknits, 8 Ply Pure Wool in color #630 for the camel (love this yarn's texture and thickness. I actually preferred this camel yarn more.)
- 1 skein of Plymouth Yarn Encore in color #6002 for more of the camel (75% acrylic, 25% wool)
- 1 skein of SignatuR Handknits, 8 Ply Pure Wool of navy blue as a substitute for the grey. I had the blue and a lot of the scarves I saw online seemed to have a slate blue color instead of the grey anyway.
- About 3/4 skein of Caron Wintuk in Deep Crimson in color #3048 (100% acrylic) for the rust (I thought I was using a different yarn for the red, but I just found the label of the yarn I was actually using.)
- 1 skein of SignatuR Handknits, 8 Ply Pure Wool in color #645 for the green (see a trend here yet?)
- 1 skein of American Thread Aunt Lydia's Heavy Rug Yarn in Moss, color #291 (75% rayon, 25% cotton), for more of the green, but like the yellow, this was a stringy bulky weight yarn, so I actually separated it as I used it.
- 2-3 skeins of Trendsetter Yarns Marino VIII in color #335 (merino wool) for the purple (a very nice plum color, but I can't remember how much I used anymore)
- 2 skeins of Helio in color #3727 (100% Norwegian wool) for the bronze
- 1 skein of Lion Brand Baby's First in color #157 (Honey Bee) for the mustard, but this was a stringy bulky weight yarn, so I actually separated it as I used it. (I like the label on this yarn. It has a ruler on both edges, in centimeters and inches, which makes for a convenient quick ruler.)
There are a few rows that are actually one row longer than what the pattern called for, because I wanted all of my color changes to take place on the same side. And there are a few big chunks of color that aren't as long as the pattern called for, because I either started to run out of a yarn or I was getting sick of working on that color.
Each tassel has a piece of each color yarn. To determine the length of the tassels, I doubled the width of the scarf.
Now that it's finished, I think I'll wear it to our January Christmas get-together later this month, with Michelle the Cook and Nicole the Knitter. :)