Thursday, February 28, 2013

My Review of the 2013 Honda Fit

We've had our Honda Fit Sport since the end of January. Because of the amount of driving I'm doing for work, I've got a little more than 2,300 miles on it already. Now, that's not all work miles, of course, but it does also include a trip up to Lynchburg and back.


According to cars.com, 12 out of 13 people would recommend this car to a friend, and I would too.

Comfort:4.5 out of 5
Performance:4.5 out of 5
Exterior Styling:4.1 out of 5
Interior Design:4.8 out of 5
Value for the Money:4.7 out of 5
Reliability:4.9 out of 5
Part of the reason I like hatchbacks is because of how deceptively roomy they are. This is the second 5 door vehicle I've had. Right off the bat, I want to point out that we purposely bought a hatchback. I had a Plymouth Horizon in college, and there began my love affair with the hatchback. The 2013 Honda Fit's backseat was also a huge selling point for us, as we took our dog into consideration as we looked at new cars.

The Fit's backseat is completely flat when the back seats are folded down, making enough room for a German Shepherd to stand or sit comfortably back there, and doesn't allow for any holes where he could accidentally step in and twist a little ankle while the car is being driven. The folded down back seats fit tightly within the interior of the car.

I personally don't know a lot about engines, but my husband described the Fit's engine to me like this: his HD Road King has a bigger engine that the Fit has. The reason he shot down the Nissan Versa is because how weak he though the engine was and how it had no power behind it. "Honda Fit's 1.5-liter engine is smooth and powerful, impressive for an engine that small. It's rated at 117 horsepower at a high-revving 6600 rpm, with 106 foot-pounds of torque at 4800 rpm. Yet there's always sufficient torque, that force that propels you from intersections and up hills." While Shane disagrees with me here, I am still a little surprised at how quickly this thing can take off. It's got enough get up and go to make me happy, although Shane feels like some hilly areas (Lynchburg, out in the country) slows the Fit down as it goes up a hill. He feels like the cruise control doesn't have enough power behind it to use there, so it's just better to give it gas and force it to go. (I used to feel the same way on Highway 20 east from Dubuque, IA and Galena, IL...my Horizon had a hard time with some areas out there).

"Mated to a 5-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters, it's an exceptional powertrain. The Honda automatic has a Sport mode that holds the transmission in gears longer when you're in Drive, and not using the paddles for manual shifting. This Sport mode is meant for sports car-like driving, which the Fit likes." I probably won't ever use the paddle shifters. I know those seem to be increasingly popular with European made cars (or at least those highlighted on Top Gear on BBC) but I don't know how to drive a manual transmission. I don't want to damage the car, so I'll stick with automatic. However, Shane is fairly happy with how it handles as a manual transmission-style of car.

This car's mileage is much better (I'm averaging 30-34 MPG) than the Blazer's mileage was (17 in town/22 on the interstate, averaging me 21 MPG consistently throughout it's life with us).

"Underway, the Honda Fit feels like a bigger car, partly because the dashboard is long, to accommodate the raked windshield, and partly because there's so much legroom in the front, again thanks to that rake." I'm 5'4" tall and my husband is 6'. Neither one of us are uncomfortable in the front seat. In fact, most times, no matter what shoes I'm wearing, I have the seat pushed all the way back and I'm good on the reach to the pedals.

"The black cloth seats are wonderful, upholstered in a smooth comfortable material that's pleasing to the touch, and the bolstering is just right, with excellent cornering support. In fact, the seats would work in a sports car." I kind of have to disagree with this. While the cloth seats are nice (leather was not an option, but I didn't want leather anyway and Shane did), the weave of the cloth is a little obnoxious. Pet hair doesn't just lay on top of it. It gets woven into the cloth and a vacuum cleaner, even a new one, has a difficult time getting it all cleaned up. Usually, when I'm done with the vacuum, I have to go get a lint brush to roll over all the cloth to pick up what the vacuum couldn't get. I'm thinking about buying seat covers for the front.

"Lots of cubbies and cupholders make everyday driving convenient." In just the front seat alone, 2 people have access to 4 cupholders. While the bottom 2 holders in the console below the radio are a bit of a tight fit, the top 2 are perfect fits for more size drinks, as well as within a comfortable reach. Plus, those two console holders have their own dedicated vents behind to keep your drink either cool or warm, depending on how your have the interior temperature of the car set.

"Rear legroom is roomier than that of the Toyota Yaris, Mazda2, and Ford Fiesta." I haven't ridden in the back seat yet.

Small features that I really enjoy about the Fit:
1. There is a handle on the inside of the hatch that is conveniently located to make it easier to pull it down and shut. You don't have to reach and stretch for the hatch when it's open.
2. There's plenty of clearance below the hatch when it's completely open, so you don't have to worry about banging your head on it.
3. It's got a good navigation system built into it. It sounds clear and is easy to understand, and it's pretty much modifiable for the user's preferences.

Things I don't enjoy about the Fit:
1. The front passenger seat does not come standard with an armrest. It's not even an option to get. While a center console can be purchased, I don't know if it's wide enough to fill the space as well as two armrests would.
2. From what I've heard from other people, the phone reception through the dash really sucks. Apparently, it cuts in and out quite a bit. My phone isn't doing that, because in the same locations, my phone is pretty clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment