Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Alligator: It's The Other White Meat

Last payday, I ordered a bunch of meat from the Country Butcher Shop & Deli in Virginia Beach. There was quite a bit of it and it was priced really well, compared to the grocery store. I ordered it online and Shane picked it up for us. One of the things I ordered was alligator. They had 1 pound packages for $19.95. A little pricey, I know, but I wanted to try it.

It looks a lot like chicken, but not completely. It was good. The recipe I used was Patty's Fried Gator Bites.
  • 2 lbs. Farm raised alligator (I only had one pound.)
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup cornmeal (I cheated and used a box of Jiffy corn bread mix.)
  • Cooking oil
  • Everglades Seasoning
Cut alligator into small finger-size pieces. Heat oil to 375 degrees. Combine flour and meal in bag. Shake gator in mixture. Deep fry for 3-5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Season with Everglades Season. Yum!

This was really good! It's not something I'll buy on a regular basis because of the cost, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Again, it tastes something like chicken, but not completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment