- I will get a job at some kind of animal shelter, and I'm going to be damn good at whatever I end up doing there.
- I will get at least one old, beat up piece of wood furniture, save it from going to the landfill, and refinish it. Holy crap, I'm actually doing this one right now!!! See below for photos.
I'd like to go on an LCAC ride with my husband before he transfers to his new command.I had to cross this one off finally, because Shane left this command already. This bummed me out. I never got a ride on an LCAC out on the bay. Some of his family members did, and even though I offered to take any number of half days off from work, I never got to ride.
- I will go to see the Booth Trail in 2013.
- I will go to Natural Bridge, VA and the Shenandoah Valley and stay in a cabin in the woods in 2013.
- I will go to Hiddenite Gems, an emerald mine open to the public, in NC in 2013.
- I will go to the Richmond Zoo and the Virginia Zoo (they have done a lot of remodeling and I haven't been there for a several years). I am actually planning on going to the Richmond Zoo this coming Saturday the 13th with Nicole the Knitter, and to the Virginia Zoo on May 4.
- I will go to the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. in 2013.
- I want to go to Tokyo some day. I would like to go to Hiroshima as well, but I've heard that Americans are unofficially unwelcomed there, and I don't blame the Japanese people if that's true.
- I want to see the pyramids and sphinx in Egypt.
- I'd love to see the Mona Lisa (she's in the Louvre in Paris) and The Scream (there are a couple, two of them are in Munich).
- I want to go to London, and maybe look for the TARDIS and the Doctor.
- I want to go to San Diego to see my best friend, go to Comic Con, wear a costume, take lots of photos, find an awesome looking Spider-Man so I can give him a hug for just being Spidey, and then walk a beach on the Pacific Ocean, looking for shells.
- I'd like to go to a taping of "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" if we ever go to California.
- I want to have at least one great, wildly creative crochet pattern published in a real book somewhere.
- I'd like to have our yard be featured for our Halloween decorations with a local tv station, so people might understand you don't have to spend big bucks on decorations and still put together a great display (I say this because we don't go as crazy for Christmas decorations).
- I'd like to win a challenge on Craftster.
I'd like to compete on Craft Wars on TLC.I had to cross this one off too, because I'm pretty sure it's no longer on the air. I can't find any updated information on it.
- I will finish the Jedi costume finally and I will join the Rebel Legion in 2013.
- I will finish the doll house I started several years ago.
- I want to go to Ohio and see Ralphie Harper's house from The Christmas Story.
- I want to see Weird Al Yankovic in concert, and maybe even the Bangles if I ever get to California.
- I want to see the Barenaked Ladies again, the next time they come to Hampton Roads.
- I want to take my friends to the Virginia Safari drive through park in Stanton, VA. I'm planning on doing this in June with Michelle the Cook and her mother, and maybe Nicole the Knitter.
Nicole the Knitter said she was driving with her supervisor one day, going from one Navy Exchange Store to another. For whatever residential neighborhood they were in, it must have been the day before garbage day. Supervisor saw this bench on the curb and wanted to rescue it. It would be a good project to restore.
Supervisor and Nicole lugged it into the backseat of her car, but she didn't have room to take it home (they lug a lot of demos and display stuff with them in their own vehicles), so asked Nicole if she could store it at her house for the time being. Nicole said sure. That's where I first saw it: in all it's chewed wooden leg and gross looking velvet glory. But I liked it. I thought it had good bones and great potential, and mentioned that to Nicole.
A couple weeks went by. Supervisor found out she had been approved for a job she applied for in Hawaii and was going to have to move. She started giving away her furniture. She told Nicole to keep the bench. Nicole told her I liked it and she didn't want it, so could I have it? Supervisor said yes. So on Christmas at Nicole and Michelle's house, Shane and I lugged into the back of his truck and brought it home.
Once at our house, Shane and I lugged it into our laundry room (this thing is deceptively heavy), and that's where it sat until last night. When I got home from work, I lugged it into the garage to start tearing this bitch apart. The weather is too nice to not take advantage of.
|Close up of the tacks on the back. I was hoping to reuse some of the tacks but they were coming out bent.|